Female pumpkin---update on treatment-New photo to come

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
But at that stage, how could it lay eggs?

The plant had babies? Awww, that's a nice way to put it. :cool:

Good luck if you replant; I hope you will.

joann

Leafing Out
Reaction score
To night I looked for the sign of the vine borer, did not see any. I looked all around the plant base and even pulled up on some of the vines. I put alot of pressure on the vines and they didn't crack. I will get some Bt tomorrow and cover the plants. Right behind the pumkins are my cucs. We have eaten 3 or 4 of them. Gave some to my neighbor with no complaints. Have had no worm or worm holes in them either. Next to my pumpkin r my watermelon and they are growing fast two of them are bigger then footballs, 2 ar softball size 4 are baseball size. not to mention 1/2 dozen marble size. In my garden I have Suger peas, french green beas, and radishes . In a second bed i have underground items, like potates, carrots, onoin, garlic, and some corn. the second bed is about a foot away. should I treat the both beds? Where can I buy Bt.\? Does it have any other names?

I truely want to thank all of you who responed. :dance Being a first time summer gardener I need all the help I can get. :idunno Thank you so much and hopefully my next pitcher post will be of pumpkins and not infestived flowers.:woot

Thx again
Joann

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Tutter said:
Perhaps that is one of the larvae that have already hatched? It seems a bit big but that's the only thing I can think of.

Bt is available at most good garden centers as is usually sold under names like Dipel and Foray. You would need to inject the plants (using a disposable needle from the pharmacy) to really make a dent in vine borers. A good application after the injection should help too, though. I would inject the other squash-family plants just to be safe. Other than that I wouldn't worry too much unless there are other signs of infestation.

Good luck

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OaklandCityFarmer said:
Tutter said:
Perhaps that is one of the larvae that have already hatched? It seems a bit big but that's the only thing I can think of.

Bt is available at most good garden centers as is usually sold under names like Dipel and Foray. You would need to inject the plants (using a disposable needle from the pharmacy) to really make a dent in vine borers. A good application after the injection should help too, though. I would inject the other squash-family plants just to be safe. Other than that I wouldn't worry too much unless there are other signs of infestation.

Good luck
I don't mean to sound negative, but I *think* hypodermic needles are controlled under federal nacotics laws and you need a prescription to buy them at a pharmacy.

~Phyllis

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It may be different in different places, but we can buy them (Without a prescription.) at the feed store for livestock use. And also get the ones for insulin. That last depends on where you are, but here you can. :)

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OaklandCityFarmer said:
Tutter said:
I did ponder that, but also thought it looked a bit big to be new from those eggs....hmmmm, a real mystery!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow, yeah, no wonder the flowers are falling off! Uck. This is a good example of a pest problem that you DO wanna vigorously go after! :p

I almost wonder whether those egglike things in there with the caterpiggle may possibly be frass? I mean, being inside of a flower would keep it from drying out. I've never seen caterpillar frass held under protected humid conditions so I can't say for sure. Just tossing it out as food for thought.

Good luck,

Pat

joann

Leafing Out
Reaction score
A quick update on the 10 th I treated the plants with BT (about 1/2 gallons sprayed on the plants and 1/2 gallon on the plants base. Today I had perfectily wonder flowers both male and female. Thought I had the problem fixed but when I got into the plant to hand pollinate. I Saw them agian. this time I got pitchers will have my DD post the later. They were little green like worms. I don't belive that they a SVB but took ever measure to kill them. Injected each flowering vine (injected every three foot 3w/injection per vine.), every male flower that was open pooled in Bt, and sprayed tops and bottem of all leaves. If I over did it they will most likely deid but if I didn't do it they would have died. I have two great pumpkins, praying that they set. pitchers to follow.

Also found evidences of damage to my cucs, sprayed them also. peas, green beans looked ok but sprayed them too.

Spoke with my back neighbor and I am still seeing those worm later the week I will srpray them with dish soap and tobacco mix. and next week some seven dust. I am quessing BUGS and FL go hand in hand.

Any thoughts, Thx
Joann

PS it just killing me. My garden looks pitcher perfect untill you enlarge everything.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good news here is that Bt will kill most caterpillars, even these little green ones, which I'm thinking may be Pickleworm.

My best advice is to continue the use of Bt at about 10 day intervals. Water at the base of the plant to avoid powdery mildew and washing away Bt. Since the Bt tends to breakdown in the sun I would recommend evening applications or very early morning.

I would highly recommend against using Sevin since it will kill pollinators as well and they are crucial in fruit production. This has caused a lot of problems to pollinators in the past.

joann

Leafing Out
Reaction score
ok it does look like a pickleworm. Good news and bad news. Good news is that the one pumpkim that I hand pollinated on sunday has set. and I have two more on the same vine that are looking good, but two vines over I am still finding worms. thinking about steping up the Bt because of all the rain. Maybe 7 days? thank goodness we are getting it daily. Holding off on the sevens and tabacco. It's a daily battle. Grandson is really excitied but he is still worry about the worm. I think thing are looking a little brighter over my pumkin patch.

Will keep u updated

Joann