Fencing In Orchard

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have started fencing in raised beds with 6 foot chain link. Truck getting lots of use but now belong to nephew
DSCF0536.JPG
DSCF0568.JPG

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you are intending to keep deer out of your orchard, a deer can jump that 6 foot fence flat footed standing right next to the fence. You might want to extend the height to 8 feet.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Deer are not terribly smart -- notice the numbers laying along the roadsides -- but they are cautious of risking breaking a leg. I've read that having two shorter fences with a small space between them works well to keep deer out of the garden AND provides a run for chickens to eat pests trying to get into the garden.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Deer can easily clear a six foot fence flat footed. But for whatever reason avoid jumping into small fenced areas. I have seen this work with my own eyes in heavy deer pressured neighborhoods.

.......that said, I'm sure somebody can prove that wrong with a personal anecdote...

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
When fence is up hardware cloth top will be added. $$$$$:th

Why hardware cloth?

I had to extend the height of my chicken pen to keep a few dedicated jumpers in and I used rebar zip tied to the posts, and some black plastic fencing ziptied to the rebar.
It went up fast and easy and has been up for several years. Cheap fix.

The fencing was 3 feet wide I think, and I cut it in half, so even cheaper.