fertilizing dahlias

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I should really have my dahlia garden soil tested . . .

This having different gardens for different flowers makes for different plant needs depending on the plant and the garden.

No, I don't always grow snapdragons in 1 bed and always grow zinnias in another. But, those plants and several others are in one place. And, the dahlias are in another place. By themselves . . . with only me to keep them company . . . ;)

Anyway, for 20 years of growing dahlias, I fertilized them with Miracle Gro thru their season. Then, I began to question whether I was getting too much fertilizer on them - taller plants, smaller flowers. I learned that some dahlia growers - strictly - do not fertilize during the growing season.

So, I changed the program and only applied 16-16-16 to the soil last spring. But, how much for a full season of growing for these big plants? (They were a little too big last year . . .)

Is 1 pound per 100 square feet enough?
Is 3 pounds per 100 square feet too much?

Steve
who will continue to use Miracle Gro on the snapdragons, zinnias, and such

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Steve... I use a LOW nitogen fertilizer....ie: 6-24-24, 5-10-10, etc....High nitrogen produces big plants and very few smaller flowers. I have compost in the Dahlia field when I plant the tubers....I don't give ANY fertilizer until late June....a sprinkling around the base of the plants just before a good rain will help.... Too much fertilizer at the end of the Summer produces soft tubers that won't store well during the Winter. I hope this helps a little? A Dahlia Friend, Rusty
7566_dahlias_8_30_2009_030.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
And, it looks like another vote for no Miracle Gro.

I will have to take a look at what is available to me in a higher PK fertilizer. I decided yesterday to go over the beds with the spading fork and got a good start.

The ground seems to be in awfully good shape and I began to get suspicious about pushing more N onto the plants. It is really the best ground and most protected garden I've got. A stand of corn should really love it there but, I'm sure, the dahlias would veto any idea about giving it up to the sweet corn ;).

Thanks Rusty, this is some helpful information to put into my plans!

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the pointers, Rusty! I probably would have overfertilized mine too. I got so many nice blooms off of them last year. All I did was work a little compost into some very poor soil when I tilled a new bed...at the time thinking that I should have had done more compost, but I didn't have anymore anyway. Looks like it was for the best.

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Dahlias are heavy feeders...but not on Nitrogen. Pinching back the plants will also make for a bushier plant and more blooms. I pinch back the 3rd or 4th set of new leaves (depending on which variety it is) and stand back and watch 'em grow! I'm learning more each growing season from some of my "Dahlia mentors"....I've had Dahlias since 1962,... and hope to have them for another 40 or so years. Happy planting!:cool:

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
RustyDHart said:
Dahlias are heavy feeders...but not on Nitrogen. Pinching back the plants will also make for a bushier plant and more blooms. I pinch back the 3rd or 4th set of new leaves (depending on which variety it is) and stand back and watch 'em grow! I'm learning more each growing season from some of my "Dahlia mentors"....I've had Dahlias since 1962,... and hope to have them for another 40 or so years. Happy planting!:cool:
Awesome pics, your information was definately helpful!

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Glad to be of help....:) I've learned alot on here from various plant growers and hope to pass this wisdom on to others as well.

scotexpat

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I'm so happy to have found this Forum.Rusty you are a mine of information,thanks to your tips I am really looking forward to a nice selection of my own Dahlia's. Good tip about the fertilizer,I do tend to use Miracle Grow on most things,but I will be more careful with my Dahlias. Compost is a much better option anyway,and fortunately easily available to me.

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm lucky to have lots of beautiful sheep to help me with my compost recipe....:lol: The sheep don't mind and the dahlias love it....it does have to be worked WELL into the ground/beds though. Dahlias also need up to a GOOD inch of rain/water per week...Best when applied at base of plants and NOT overhead if possible. Happy Gardening!

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
scotexpat.....Did you ever look up "Ferncliff Gardens"? They have some of the best Dahlias, Peonies, and several Day Lily varieties... Keep us posted on your Dahlia adventures...I would love to see some photos. BTW..We're supposed to get a bunch of snow AGAIN this Sunday...the weather changes so quickly here.... 28 degrees here last night. I've had 34 lambs born so far this Spring...maybe Spring IS here. :cool:

Latest posts