FIGS!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What to do, what to do!?

Yes, I am going to make lots of jam.... however, this is a ridiculous amount for me to have to jam. So can I, and how, freeze some? What about dehydrating? Any good recipes for pies and stuff I can premake and freeze?!

Will be back with pictures... you'll die!

It took 2 hours with help collecting them all. I have a 1/2 full 5 gallon bucket, 1 full 3 gallon bucket and 2 full 2 gallon buckets. Plus the DD picked a small basket full herself and we ate most of those already.

I have a very short amount of time to get this done before I lose them all to the chickens!!! :lol:

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
14084_figs_2011.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh my goodness!! You weren't kidding! I am sorry I don't have any fig ideas- but what about listing some on Craigslist, if you don't have time to process them all? How many fig trees do you have??

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow..Vfem..those are alot of figs. Do they taste really good? I love figs with slices of blue cheese for dessert. Don't know what else to do with them. What kind are they and like Lesa says...how many trees?

Mary

Sunsaver

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
You could make fig pies and freeze them. Take about two cups of chopped figs and one cup of sugar. about 1/4 cup of water, a dash of vanilla extract, and a pinch of cinnamon. Simmer on low stirring frequently, until some of the water is evaporated and the syrup has thickened. Pour in ready to bake frozen pie shell and freeze, remove from freezer and seal in plastic bags, return them to the freezer. You can afford to play around with recipe and tweak it just right, because you have so many figs!

Fig pork roast. Layer the bottom of a roasting pan with figs onions and carrots. Take a Boston butt or pork shoulder and rub it down with salt pepper and garlic powder. Place the roast on top of the figs. Sprinkle the roast with chopped parsley, sage, and oragano leaves. Roast, covered, at 300 for 11/2 hours. Remove cover and roast for another 30 minutes or until done.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Lucky you vfem!! I think I would gobble all those figs right up...:lol: You could make fig jam out of them, I've made some in the past before, not hard to make at all.

Wonderful harvest enjoy!! :D

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've only gotten through 1 3 gallon bucket and that 1/2 full 5 gallon bucket. I found a mixture to freeze them for later, I also jammed about 4 pints and 16 8oz jars. I have 4 pints of figs canned in syrup too. I made some custard after dinner and then roasted figs in honey to pour over that!

So I still have the 2 buckets left, I'm going to do one more round of jam and figs in syrup then I'm bring the rest of the buckets up to the farm stand and they're going to sell them for me.

All these figs were the first picking off of 1 tree. There are probably going to be another 2-3 5 gallon buckets ready to pick by Saturday, but luckily... I'm not needing to pick those because the grapes are done and I have about 25 lbs of those to tackle over the weekend. :plbb

This wasn't from my tree, but I sure did take cuttings from their tree to start my own!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have never cared for figs (or dates) maybe I just have never had good fresh ones only old dried ones! You all make them sound delicious. :drool

Sunsaver

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
CD, if you ever try a fully ripe Celeste fig you'll be pleasantly surprised. They are creamy and have none of the grainy texture or large seeds that other figs can have, and they are about twice as sweet as something like a Brown Turkey fig. They are like candy. I wasn't sure i liked figs, based on childhood memory of them, but once i tasted Celeste, i just had to have them. Delish!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sunsaver is right! These figs we're getting are Celeste and they are by FAR my favorite. Reminds with a squish peachy & berry in texture and flavor. Absolutley the sweetest fig I've ever had. :) Going to bring some of these figs back up to the market... I'm too worn out to do anymore. :p

Latest posts