FIGS!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sunsaver said:
CD, if you ever try a fully ripe Celeste fig you'll be pleasantly surprised. They are creamy and have none of the grainy texture or large seeds that other figs can have, and they are about twice as sweet as something like a Brown Turkey fig. They are like candy. I wasn't sure i liked figs, based on childhood memory of them, but once i tasted Celeste, i just had to have them. Delish!
Sunsaver, thanks for the information. But not sure I can even find these here in IA !!!!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Carol Dee said:
Sunsaver said:
CD, if you ever try a fully ripe Celeste fig you'll be pleasantly surprised. They are creamy and have none of the grainy texture or large seeds that other figs can have, and they are about twice as sweet as something like a Brown Turkey fig. They are like candy. I wasn't sure i liked figs, based on childhood memory of them, but once i tasted Celeste, i just had to have them. Delish!
Sunsaver, thanks for the information. But not sure I can even find these here in IA !!!!
Wish I could ship you some fresh ones!

But I'll have fig preserves available in my shop come Sunday :)

Sunsaver

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Carol Dee said:
Sunsaver said:
Brown turkey and Celeste are two of the most widely planted figs in the country. Not sure how cold tolerant they are for your zone, so they might not be available up there. In the south, seems like everyone has a fig tree.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sunsaver, both of those recipes sound so good! :drool I wouldn't know what to do with a fig. We can't grow them here.

Sunsaver

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
journey11 said:
Sunsaver, both of those recipes sound so good! :drool I wouldn't know what to do with a fig. We can't grow them here.
Well that sucks. I heard they make good house plants, sort of tropical looking. Maybe a southern friend could send you a jar of figs in syrup, just so you can taste them. Well, it's not the end of the world. There are some things i can't grow here because it's too hot, like currants, gooseberry and honey berry.

dinkadoo

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Try pickling them yet? Yes, pickling. These have a sweet but very tart taste that goes real well pork loin or smoked salmon. I have an heirloom fig that has been called a Jerusalem fig that is the size of a tangerine in late June but the second crop is small but sweeter and with less water. These make the best perserves. Another option is to peel and crush them, add sugar as you usually would, then add a package of strawberry jello. Can't tell them from strawberry jam! Nice crop!

Gnome_Czech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am super jealous. My Calmyrna was eaten by the gophers. Bought another little tree and that seems to be dormant forever. Took cuttings from my mom's (she is trying to kill her's :( ) and some of them started to get new leaves then abruptly died. Took more cuttings from a friend and of those, 2 have leaves but are still just cuttings. I am going through withdrawal!!!!

This weekend I think I will have to go get another one at the exotic tree nursery (because they are sooo much cheaper than any other place that sells fruit and they are organic) and just start over.

One of thegood things about all the fruit tress is the savings on feed. My chicken LOVE anything we grow extra of!

dragonlaurel

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Drying them is easy too. I wonder if they would make a good wine.
That pie sounds wonderful.

Sunsaver

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi, DL! I didn't know you were over here too. Good to see you! Sorry for the hijack.

Latest posts