FIGS!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Welcome dinka doo and Gnome :welcome

I never even knew about figs (fresh anyways) until last year. They are just not something you see often. They don't last very long after picked as fresh, so no markets really carry them. :idunno

I did manage to dry 2 lbs, freeze 4 gallon bags and jammed and canned as much as I could. I'm getting ready to do another batch of jam in the next day or 2. I already sold 5 jars from what I made so I have to restock! lol

I am still trying to manage a cutting from their tree... working on it... slowly! :thumbsup

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was given a small fig tree earlier this summer. Poor thing looked dreadful. But we've got it set in the shade and the Mister waters it daily. It's grown so MUCH!
Now we just have to FIGure *snort!* out where to plant it this fall... :lol:

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Question, I've had a fig tree in my backyard since I bought this house, and every year I've let the figs over ripen because I don't know what they are supposed to look like, last year my chickens got them all, this year I have an abundance and don't want to lose them to rot or chickens. Can someone show me a picture of a perfectly ripened fig? Please... :D

Sunsaver

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
It depends on the variety. Some turn brown, others are green with a pink blush. Your best bet is to squeeze them. They should be soft and somewhat mushy, not firm. They should pull away from the plant easily. Taste one. It should be sweet, not bland. If it is still firm and not sweet, it is not ripe. Soft and sweet is what you are looking for. Hope this helps! :tools

Hencackle

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'll be happy to take a bucket of figs off your hands. :happy_flower Your zone is much more fig-friendly than mine. My Brown Turkey is still small from where it died back last year, BUT is has 6 or 8 figs on it. I've wrapped chicken wire around it to keep the chickens away because I'm determined to have a home-grown fig this year.

I like fig preserves and sliced fresh figs with honey served over yogurt. Ohhh, the pickled figs sounds really nice.

Latest posts