Finally did it! I grew melons in the great north!

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
After a few years of trying I finally did it! Success with melons in Maine! Thank you all for your advice.

The type is Sweet N Early and I grew it in two different spots: a self watering container and a large cow lick container. I planted 1 plant in each spot, fertilized with duck poop water and had 8 melons grow to maturity on each plant. I consider that a massive success.

However, I had no watermelons, and I planted them next to the canteloupe. So mixed success, but I'm so happy about it.

These 6 melons fell off the plant today. We ate 3 in the last few days, and as much as it hurt, I cut up and froze these 6. Not the best taste in the world but eons better than store bought.

6992_melons.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
:rose Good for you! It is so much fun to grow something that is not really rated for your area and be sucessful!! Those are some real pretty melons! :rainbow-sun

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sweet N Early, Sweet N Early, Sweet N Early, . . . !

Wow, SCG! My passport melons are nowhere near ripe! I figure another 2 or, maybe, 3 weeks . . .

Congratulations!!!

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
My muskmelons have been very prolific this year. I think the crazy heat was right up there alley! I picked two today- but they really don't smell ripe- I might let them sit on the counter for a few days. Glad you were able to have success with melons! How are your pumpkins doing?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, that's super Super'! My melon crop was so demoralizing last year that it wasn't on my priority list this year.
Didn't you have a mini green/hoop house thing you started your melons in?

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
How great for you SCG, sweet n early, must remember this for next year. We have six cantaloupes going but very small still. Our sugar baby water mellons are a bit larger than a softball at this moment. So we are hoping there will be a harvest before frost. We are hoping your good fortune rubs off on our melon patch!

AdamBorzy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Good harvest... :D

Have you tried sweet melon juice lately? I usually add yogurt or milk... it tastes really yummy!

2467314.jpg

Latest posts