FINALLY getting around to planting behind the house

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
So excited!!! Took picts of the house/yard to a gardening friend today and we went on a photo safari through a BUNCH of fancy neighborhoods to get ideas of how plants are placed and arraigned in big beds. Had a blast - got a ton of picts for my 'ideas' file.

Jared, that's a really good idea about the ground covers. I've got a BUNCH around that big oak near the corner. I was wondering what I'd do if they came charging into the bed and taking over where they weren't wanted. Some carefully placed edging might limit them to certain areas of the bed. They can take off into the yard as far as they'd like! Them more they cover, the less I have to mow.

Journey - I have no idea what colors the azaleas are. I snapped them up at a local hardware closing sale several years ago and planted them in a wooded area at the edge of the yard. They have not grown or bloomed since. :-( I think that I planted them a bit too deep and that they need more sun. I moved 2 of them up to the corner several weeks ago and they are already putting out new leaves.
The hydrangeas are pink - I don't know the names because they were on clearance and the tags are missing. Is it true that they might turn blue if my soil is a bit more on the acid side? Or are the more modern ones pretty much 'color fast'?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know, that's a good question on the fancy hydrangeas. I'm not sure about that either.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know which do and which don't or how to tell, but I have two blue "Endless Summer" hydrangeas that will turn pink in alkaline soil and one pink "Invincible" that stays pink.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The edging will really slow them and may even contain them depending on how deep the edging goes & how deep the root systems go.

It will take some planning but it's well worth it. The biggest thing is deciding on what you want to use to contain them & where you want them to stop into the main bed.

Do your homework and get something bother works for you & will last. You'll be glad you did.

Great idea going on a landscape photo safari! Very cool idea!!!

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sounds like you have your hands full Cane! Preventing environmental disasters by cleaning up things the "fall" off of trucks, building porches, saving poor clearance sale plants from going to the dumpster (one of my favorite activities BTW), stalking the neighborhood flower gardens...(I suddenly have this image in my head of a little room in Canes basement...a dim bulb hanging from a cord, one wall plastered with pictures of the neighbors lawns; plants circled in big, bold red magic marker with arrows pointing at it "I want that!", and in the center is Red's front yard...like in those stalker movies :lol::gig

Once you get everything planted, it'll be time for a gazebo so you can sit and enjoy the fruits of your labors ;)

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh, that's easy Cane. I have a room just like it, but my wall is covered with pictures of grills and smokers :D

It takes one to know one ;)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Once you get everything planted, it'll be time for a gazebo so you can sit and enjoy the fruits of your labors ;)

@canesisters I am reading that as Monty volunteering to take vacation and him and Dew sleeping in your guest room and building you a gazebo! He builds really nice ones, ya' know! ;) I believe I'd take him up on that kind offer. :lol:

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule! You are so right on! Nowhere does Marshall suggest canesisters build a gazebo. He indicates that she should relax and enjoy her gazebo. What gazebo if not for the one Marshall builds her?

I'd like a deal like that as well, Marshall.

Latest posts