FINALLY getting around to planting behind the house

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hum-m-m, I've always wondered where your head was, @baymule. Your photo seems to show a fine horse with a headless rider. Just got me thinking. . .
My avatar is of my old QH gelding, Joe. The rider is my neighbor's father, Amos. I wrote a story about that day the day Amos died. Later, I entered that story in a TSC contest and won 3rd place. The link for that doesn't work anymore, but the QH association picked it up and published it in their newspaper too, so here is that link.

http://americashorsedaily.com/amos-and-joe/#.U4eff7lOVjo

So this answers where my head (and heart) was the day that picture was taken.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry Bay I assumed Amos was you also!
No need to apologize, the face is obscured and the photo is tiny to boot. I loved that picture, that afternoon took a couple hours of my time, but made an old man very happy. My horse must have known that it was a special day. He actually posed for pictures, he is such a ham. :love

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
DSCF0677.JPG

DSCF0680.JPG

DSCF0681.JPG

Making a LITTLE progress. Got the grass killed (for now....) and a load of mulch spread. The rose of sharrons are coming along really well. They more than double in size each summer so far. The mix of ground covers under the oak are thriving - but not really spreading. I was expecting a fight... but maybe that's coming later :) The elephant ears are finally sprouting around the heat pump and the goat's beard in front of the pannel box is finely leafing out.
Handy Man Mike took 2 better paying jobs and so has not gotten to my porch yet. That's going to limit how much more I can do for now. I don't want to mulch without protecting the bed from digging dogs - and I can't extend the radio fence any farther until they have a way to leave the house that doesn't put them IN the new bed.
I can, however, jump to the other side of the current porch. That's going to be a butterfly garden (sort of) with mock orange, azelias and day lilies. Planting and mulching that will start this week and - weather permitting - finish this weekend.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is just a landing. Who would build that? So glad you're moving forward. I hope your new deck/porch is big and roomy.

Mary

Latest posts