Finally got a pose

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's a tropical milkweed, also called butterfly weed. It's a native of Mexico South to Guatemala. Thanks to some seeds Beavis sent me I have several seedlings coming along but the one in the picture I bought at a nursery so I would have a mature plant sooner. I also have a tuberous milkweed, native to the US but the monarchs seem to prefer the tropical one. It has raised three monarchs so far. Of course they would probably prefer the common milkweed over that but I don't have any of those. They are all very showy plants and well worth a place in the garden.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is such a beautiful picture Hoodat. Thanks for sharing with us. I sure wish I had a caterpillar like that in my garden. The kids would love it and me too!

Mary

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Plant it and they will come ;) There are enough stray monarchs so they will find a milkweed almost anywhere you plant it.
It's fun to get a cricket cage or terrarium and let the kids raise a monarch. You can cut milkweed shoots and put them in a jar of water for the food. Just be sure the cage is open when they emerge from the chrysalis so they don't batter their wings trying to get out.

Latest posts