finding history on the property

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
today was cleaning up the campfire area of leafs and all the nails from burning pallets, while using the bow rake something caught my eye bent over and it was a seashell. let me take you back about 10 years this area of the property.
DSC_0017.JPG

use to grow corn in till the tress got to high, while tilling it found a arrowhead it was not whole but still you could see the makings of it being worked. well today right about where the stick is standing up to the left raked up the shell. picked it up cleaned it off you could see that it's been there for a long time, stopped what
i was doing came inside and start to google shells it's a prickly cockle definitely not a freshwater clam.
DSC_0011.JPG

so did research before an invasive species arrived this area was a melting pot of indian tribes which got along with each other and traded among themselves, there was the roanoke,occaneechi,catawba,saxapahaw,lumbee just to name the ones that were in this general area.

since the property has year round spring water <northern headwaters for the haw river>
DSC_0019.JPG

this would be a ideal location for a camp plenty of water,game,nuts,berries.
so going to do some more research on this might even do some anthropology digging. history has always intrigued me. looks like i have a great wintertime project........

Last edited:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
How interesting! :thumbsup I'm wanting to take my daughter Ava over to Ohio when they turn the fields this spring to hunt arrowheads. My DH and his dad used to find tons of them. There's a rather lengthy list of tribes that were prior residents here and we have a lot of huge burial mounds and petroglyphs. I found an arrowhead in my yard while digging up a shrub a couple years ago, but I wouldn't know if it had been carried in by someone else or not. It wasn't very deep.

Do you ever drink from that spring, Major? It looks so crystal clear. I bought a Lifestraw the other day so DH and I can drink from the streams and springs where we go mushroom hunting without having to pack heavy water bottles with us (or when he's out cutting wood or deer hunting, etc.) You can drink from even pond water with one of those if you want to. But that spring water sure looks good. :)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have always wondered what went on exactly where my house is. Very cool that you may be able to find out what went on at yours!

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
@journey11 our well sits back about 75' from where the spring pops out and yes have drank out of the spring time or two. with all the wildlife that uses it i try not too do not want to get giardiasis <beaver fever> again.... do like the lifestraw idea

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@majorcatfish , I should be able to advise you on your exploration, but I really can't. I was on a total of one exploratory dig with a group of anthropology students. My role was mostly running interference as we dealt with the administration and local powers that be.

What I would like to suggest is that you pay close attention to the location of whatever you find. Unless you begin digging pits, it probably need not mean laying out a grid but keep a long and short tape at hand so that you can record location in three dimensions, that might really help when you come across those pre-Clovis stone tools.

Perhaps the corners of your property can provide reference points. It looks like that may require an especially long tape from the pictures ... okay, lay it all out as a grid ;)!

Remember, a third dimension, as well. And, your camera should be your friend as you take your sentimental journey out on the south 40.

Steve

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
going to contact a couple of the universities in the area show them what i have found and ask what would be the best depth to go down to start on the grid work, and no not going to dig up the whole back 40 just going to do a couple 20x20 areas unless i find a treasure trove of artifacts.. dw already thinks i am nuts to start digging up the yard..

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
going to contact a couple of the universities in the area show them what i have found and ask what would be the best depth to go down to start on the grid work, and no not going to dig up the whole back 40 just going to do a couple 20x20 areas unless i find a treasure trove of artifacts.. dw already thinks i am nuts to start digging up the yard..
You ARE nuts. So what else is new? :lol: sounds like good winter time activity to me!

Latest posts