Fingerlings vs "Normal"

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Its really just the shape of them. Most potatoes have varying degrees of flavor or different flavors so I can't really say fingerlings taste different from the typical potatoes because there are alot of varieties.
They are more of a "finger shape" and pretty much the biggest difference.

Here is a link to some of the fingerlings you can order for planting.

https://stores.myregisteredsite.com...Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RPFL&Category_Code=FIN

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yup, the shape, also the consistency when cooked. I love fingerlings, they hold up well to steaming whole, then are waxy enough to be used in potato salad, etc. I grow several kinds each year, but always Russian Banana, it's my favorite.

dbjay417

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
would fingerlings be a better choice of potatoes for something like home fries then?

also my potatoes have started to develop flower bulbs. I'm quite excited. As I understand it I'm between one and two months away from harvest.

I just might be able to grow potatoes successfully here in PR. I just hope harvest time doesn't reveal some miserable pest or disease, that i'm not yet aware of.
:celebrate

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will be watching this thread to try to learn more about fingerlings. I've only grown 2. One, I learned was a French variety. I thought it was a real nice potato but it was immediately taken off the US market for some reason. This "Amandine" fingerling potato had a real good flavor and I haven't found it since 'o6!

I grew the Peruvian purples a few years ago. They took up space the entire season and didn't produce much. One nice thing about a lot of potatoes is that they are out of the ground mid-Summer. That leaves that part of the garden available for a Fall crop. Yukon Gold & Carib are like that - in early and out early. But, they aren't fingerlings.

Ann, is the Russian Banana a short-season variety?

Steve

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Steve, the banana is a late season variety but Ronnigers shows that the french fingerling and red thumb they offer is an early season and the rest fall in between mid-late season.

These are some of the fingerlings I am planting this year.

Russian Banana late season
LaRatte mid-late season
Peruvian Purple late season
Swedish Peanut early season

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
dbjay417 said:
would fingerlings be a better choice of potatoes for something like home fries then?
For homefries I usually microwave the potatoes first, then heat up some butter or oil in a skillet and cook them quickly on medium-high heat with onion and seasonings. And the fingerlings are certainly better than Russets for that.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:

Steve
My experience with Russian Banana fingerlings is they are mid-season, I wouldn't call them late at all, at least they haven't been for me. I love them!

As for the French fingerling, I found it this year, but it was sold out before I could buy it, I forget where I found it. I do see that Seed Savers Exchange has it listed this season.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
digitS' said:

Steve
My experience with Russian Banana fingerlings is they are mid-season, I wouldn't call them late at all, at least they haven't been for me. I love them!

As for the French fingerling, I found it this year, but it was sold out before I could buy it, I forget where I found it. I do see that Seed Savers Exchange has it listed this season.
I have Russian banana fingerlings sitting here right now growing "eyes" and waiting for a break in the weather. This is my first year for these so I hope they are as great as you all say they are! My Yukon Golds and Pontiac Reds are sitting here too...<sigh>...more cold rain/snow showers in the forecast till mid-week.

Latest posts