Fire in my hometown

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
All is fine here. DH came home and helped me unpack the items by the front door. I've been making soap every single day since I have alot of Faires scheduled between the Grape Stomp in Murphys on October 3rd, all the way to December.

Too bad all the grapes have been harvested this year. About 3 - 4 weeks early due to the heat all summer. Evidently the grapes are dehydrating and the sugar content isn't its normal concentration. Not a great year.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, here in Angels Camp. Its at the Fairgrounds, where I'll be a vendor. October 24th at Frogtown, in one of the halls.

Its put on by the Calaveras County Garden Club, who awards scholarships to Bret Hart High School and to Calaveras High School students going onto college.

Come by and see me! Wildevines Soapery!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
We will be up at our cabin for a week working on a bathroom and doing some much needed painting. The loft has never been painted since we bought the place about 20 years ago! Never heard of Frogtown, where is it? Oh wait, I see that it's at the Fairgrounds? Where in Angel's Camp is the Fairgrounds?

Mary

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary , have you read Mark Twain's books ? Angels Camp has the World Famous " World Frog Jumping Championships " every year with jumping frogs entered from near and far. :th

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary: instead of going straight on highway 4 up to Dorrington, turn right onto 49 at the light there at the intersection in Angels Camp. Go thru Angels, staying on highway 49 south. You cannot miss the Fairgrounds - they are on your left.

Right now its the command center for the Fire people. There a dozens and dozens of tents for sleeping (poor firefighters) and huge pop ups and tons of vehicles there as well. Hey - since I just typed this, I wonder if the Garden Club will be able to get into the Fairgrounds?

I have a fully furnished apt downstairs where sometimes I go to stay when we have renters in our main house. Too bad I didn't know before hand that many a man/woman were sleeping in tents. Sigh....Oh and it was 102 yesterday. Wonder how warm it was in a tent?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
We used to go through Angels Camp before they built that new road. I've seen what I thought was a park on the left. That must be it. Is there room at the Fairgrounds with everybody else there for the faire? By the end of October perhaps most of the fire will be out and there may be less firefighters camping out.

I don't know if my husband is off that Friday. If so, we will leave that day. It may be hard to convince him to go down to Angeles Camp especially when he's in a middle of a project. If he's working on Friday and we go up Saturday, it will be perfect to stop along the way up to Dorrington. I'll keep you posted. It would be wonderful to meet you!

Mary

Last edited:

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
It would be wonderful to meet you too!

Before the bypass, you would go thru town, and then bear left to continue on highway 4. Now to get to the fairgrounds (they are HUGE!) you'd go straight thru the wiggly part like you were driving to Sonora. Its gonna be about a mile from the old town, on your left.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nevermind...

Dear Vendor,

After much thought and discussion, the Calaveras County Garden Club regretfully has decided to cancel the Garden and Craft Faire scheduled for Saturday, October 24, 2015 due to the Butte Fire, the losses our members have suffered and the uncertainly of the Fairgrounds being available to stage the event. Thank You for your time, efforts and desire to participate in our event. Your full booth fee will be mailed in the next week.
Craft Faire Vendor Committee