First egg!!

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
so lucky said:
desertlady said:
:weee I am waiting for my baby chickies to lay their first eggs. They are six months old now.
Shouldn't be long, now. Any signs of them getting ready? Reddening of combs, new interest in the nest boxes?
color slight changing, but they are still immature ! Kids! LOL!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a White Plymouth Rock that started laying when she was 17 weeks old, but the rest were more like 20 to 24 weeks, one about 30 weeks. Actually, if it is really hot where you live, that could make them not lay so readily. Seems like the conditions have to be just right: not too hot, not too dark, not molting, not broody. Dare I say it's pretty obvious they are female? :lol:

StonyGarden

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Got 2 more today!! I had to add extra straw to several boxes that were low on bedding. They seem to like the boxes that have deep bedding and I don't want them to start laying on the floor.

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
so lucky said:
I have a White Plymouth Rock that started laying when she was 17 weeks old, but the rest were more like 20 to 24 weeks, one about 30 weeks. Actually, if it is really hot where you live, that could make them not lay so readily. Seems like the conditions have to be just right: not too hot, not too dark, not molting, not broody. Dare I say it's pretty obvious they are female? :lol:
yes hot weather and all females ! they are all very small (silkie/ cochin mix some easter egg mixed too!) They probably will lay hummingbird size eggs! its raining here, maybe they will lay soon!