First garden harvest!

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
firstgardenharvest.jpg

Well, sorta. The only part of this I planted was the green onions on the right.

The dandelions are going to be dipped in cornmeal batter with chili powder and fried, while the dandelion leaves will be made into a slaw with cabbage, green onions and bacon dressing. The garlic mustard is going to be sauteed and put in a quiche with three cheeses (havarti, parm and queso fresco) and regular chopped yellow onion. The violets are going to be infused in sugar syrup with lemon and then that gets diluted with club soda to make violet soda.

Hey, a harvest is a harvest...

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OK, the slaw turned out AWESOME.

First spring greens slaw

In any combination, the greens that are available as long as it's not just lettuce, 8 cups chopped
That is, pick at least three of the following:
-Heirloom lettuces or buttercrunch-type
-Romaine
-Dandelion greens
-Turnip tops
-Beet tops
-Cabbage, any kind
-Creasy greens
-Cress

Chop 1 bunch spring onions finely, green parts and all. Add to greens.
Fry, um, as many pieces of thick cut bacon as your doctor will allow. I had only four pieces, sadly the last of a drug free air-cooled pig I will see for many months. Ahem. Take out the bacon and chop into bits, then mix the bits with the greens. Reserve the grease and keep hot.
In a separate bowl, mix 1/3 c. apple cider vinegar, 1/3 c. water, 1/3 c. sugar (or maple syrup if you prefer). Dissolve the sugar well, then add a big pinch of salt. Pour this over the greens, then quickly pour the bacon grease over and toss well to coat the greens thoroughly. Put lots of fresh-ground black pepper on top.
If you have any left over, even better the second day.

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Eureka! You can eat garlic mustard?! I need more recipes! This is how I will conquer garlic mustard!

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
aquarose said:
Eureka! You can eat garlic mustard?! I need more recipes! This is how I will conquer garlic mustard!
Absolutely. The key is not to tell your family they are eating "weeds." Use it in just about any recipe that calls for rapini/broccoli raab.

Garlic mustard quiche

1 large bunch garlic mustard, roughly chopped
3/4 - 1 lb. cheese, sliced thin, any combination of cheeses. I used queso fresco, parm, and havarti, because that was what was in the fridge.
1 medium size onion
little olive oil
1 pie shell
4 eggs
1/2 c. milk
salt to taste

Chop the onion and saute in olive oil until translucent and soft. Add garlic mustard and stir until just wilted, then turn off heat. Put this in the pie shell (pie shell can still be frozen, or half-defrosted if you're like me and left it on the countertop for a while). Layer cheese on top. Whisk together the eggs, milk and salt and pour into pie shell. Bake at 375F for 35 minutes or so, until the edges get brownish.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That sounds AWESOME!!!!!!!!! WTG!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Hi Rosalind, good for you -- what a great meal. A real Spring-time treat & packed full of vitamins etc.

By the way have you tried chickweed, it's lovely in salads.

Happy gardening & gathering :happy_flower

:rose Hattie :rose

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hello,

Your photo is beautiful!

Now, would someone please explain what garlic-mustard is? I'm new to the north, I don't think it grows in Texas. And it sounds like I would love it! I hate to let anything go to waste!:p

Please Rosalind, give me your batter recipe. I have tons of dandelions to contend with! I always knew you could eat the leaves, but the flowers too? WOW!

Your violet soda sounds like HEAVEN! I am sooo excited to try all of these unique recipes!!:D

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Garlic mustard:
garlic_mustard_sm.jpeg

Cornmeal batter for veggies & dandelions:

1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. cornmeal
1 tsp. baking powder
big pinch salt
chili powder to taste
Italian Herbs to taste
~1/2 c. buttermilk
1 egg

Wisk together, dip veggies or mix in a bunch (2 big handfuls) of washed dandelion flowers (stems clipped very short). Can be deep-fried or pan-fried.

Latest posts