First Garden Photos of the Year.

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well,

Im usually very good about keeping photos updated, but this year I've been slacking! I've lost 4 tomatoes to a gopher so far, so I planted 19 more to see if I can get some to survive. I also have onions, peppers, eggplant, squash, zuchinni, beans beans beans and watermelons planted. Im going to be planting some corn and pumpkins, if I can find room for them. As many of you know, my grandma is my gardening buddy. She has more and more trouble getting around and can no longer get into her big garden. So last year I cleared a spot closer to the house for her so she could grow her own little garden. We did it again this year and she went a little wild and purchased 35 tomato plants. According to her, the 6-packs were only $1 and it was too good of a deal to pass up. So she purchased a bunch of them, and 12 eggplants, and 6 peppers.... but for $1, why not. She let me take home what I wanted and then we found spots for everything else. Anyways, Im rambling. I just have two pictures for now, but it gives everyone an idea! I think I have 30 or so rows in there, and then I have 9 tomatoes planted in another spot and watermelons elsewhere also.

This one shows my onions, peppers, eggplants and then the rest of the rows are planted with beans, squash and zuchinni.

Critters2-23-10024.jpg

It wouldnt all fit into two photos, so I decided to get pics of the rows that actually have plants in them. Here you can see beans, squash and tomatoes.

Critters2-23-10023.jpg

As many of you know, I have a habit of posting a ton of photos, so I'll have more soon, Im sure!

Take Care,
Jordan

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yep, lookin good....won't be long, now. Looks like you live in a, kinda, semi-rural area. Do any of your neighbors have gardens or raise livestock (chickens, goats, ect)? And, man, that is a really blue sky, too.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Very nice garden.
I like the neatness of your rows.
The only problem I see is you took my favorite garden chair!!!!

THANX RICH

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank you both!

Boggy, my nextdoor neighbor raises poultry and goats, but we dont talk. He's a grumpy ol guy and he's probably not too happy with me because I yelled at him for trying to shoot birds on my property. ;) I have chickens, goats, ducks, snakes, geckos and all sorts of critters though!

Thank you, Rich. That's how my grandma taught me to do it, so I've done it like that my entire life. That chair helps a lot! I enjoy just sitting there and watching my garden grow.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi Jordan,
Its great to see you. As usual your garden looks fantastic.
You are good to your grandma for moving the garden for her.
Don't forget to post pictures of how your garden progresses this summer.
Natalie

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Jordan, The garden looks real good. Where in central California are you? It probably gets very hot and you can grow all kinds of melons and corn? It's sounds like you and your grandma love each other very much! That's beautiful to see. You are building great memories. My grandmother was a great gardener and it was a joy to me as a child to be with her in her garden.

Mary

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
simple life said:
Hi Jordan,
Its great to see you. As usual your garden looks fantastic.
You are good to your grandma for moving the garden for her.
Don't forget to post pictures of how your garden progresses this summer.
Natalie
Hello, Natalie! I was waiting for your reply. Its great to see you as well. Thank you very much. I'll be sure to continue updating. I had pretty terrible germination with my 2nd planting of bush beans, so I'll have to redo those.

Hi Jordan, The garden looks real good. Where in central California are you? It probably gets very hot and you can grow all kinds of melons and corn? It's sounds like you and your grandma love each other very much! That's beautiful to see. You are building great memories. My grandmother was a great gardener and it was a joy to me as a child to be with her in her garden.

Mary
Hello, Mary. Thank you! I'm near Modesto, California. I've grown corn and melons the past couple of years and it did excellent. This year I only planted melons, and my chickens discovered the hills and destroyed them. I might fit some corn in there somewhere, I havent decided yet. My grandma is my best buddy, she taught me everything I know about gardening and continues to teach me every day. :)

And thank you, Kim!

GrowsLotsaPeppers

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My dad's family was from near Hughson, out near you. They grew a lot of melons with their gardens when he was young. Now, it's mainly almonds and walnuts commercially, and personal gardens for the residents...

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
GrowsLotsaPeppers said:
My dad's family was from near Hughson, out near you. They grew a lot of melons with their gardens when he was young. Now, it's mainly almonds and walnuts commercially, and personal gardens for the residents...
Im probably 5 minutes away from Hughson. Very small town, but its a nice place. We go to a fruit stand out there all the time, they have great deals on fruit for canning. But like you said, its almonds and walnuts galore. We actually visited a Pest Control business there in my Agricultural Economics class a couple semesters ago. Its pretty cool to see others mention small towns around me! :D

Latest posts