FIRST GARDEN PLANTING OF 2016

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Gosh, I'm sorry. I'm NOT trying to rub it in. I'd just like SOMEBODY to take some of it away for me!
Seriously, though, call a local stable. I've posted this before--ever horse owner buys grain/sweet feed in 50 pound plastic bags, which are strong enough to use for throwing away broken glass. They pile up in the trash cans at local stables and, if you contact the barn owner AND bring a roll of duct tape or gorilla tape, and your own shovel, you can fill up and tape shut as many bags as your car's trunk can hold and they won't spill on the way home. Almost every grain/sweet feed is now seedless, so you might get some hay seeds in the used bedding, which is mostly pine shavings or sawdust now, but you can empty them in a compost pile and let them heat up and kill Those seeds and have great compost for your garden.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We borrowed one of these from a friend. My husband on the left, neighbor on the right. We hauled for ourselves and the neighbor too. I spread the loads with the tractor while they went back for more.

IMG2614.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gosh, I'm sorry. I'm NOT trying to rub it in. I'd just like SOMEBODY to take some of it away for me!
Seriously, though, call a local stable. I've posted this before--ever horse owner buys grain/sweet feed in 50 pound plastic bags, which are strong enough to use for throwing away broken glass. They pile up in the trash cans at local stables and, if you contact the barn owner AND bring a roll of duct tape or gorilla tape, and your own shovel, you can fill up and tape shut as many bags as your car's trunk can hold and they won't spill on the way home. Almost every grain/sweet feed is now seedless, so you might get some hay seeds in the used bedding, which is mostly pine shavings or sawdust now, but you can empty them in a compost pile and let them heat up and kill Those seeds and have great compost for your garden.
Why don't you load up the feed sacks and sell them at a yard sale?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay a friend of mine dug up red maple seedling all over her yard. Potted them up and sold every one at her yard sale.

I had an idea of doing that with the Japanese maple seedlings that I hoe out of clients beds every year. I have the pots, just need more memory cells.

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
sounds like everyone is up to their elbows in the garden already!! how wonderful. I planted seeds, tomato, carrot, and assorted salad greens. but my kitten thinks it is her play yard, following me around and digging up anything I put in. potatoes and peas are showing their little heads. I went to Costco and found beefsteak tomatoes in 6in pots 3 pots for 7$ I got 6 and after tomorrow will get them planted. onions, and garlic is from 2 years ago I didn't do anything last year too sick but this year even if it takes me to Auguest I will be putting stuff in the dirt!! it may be my kitty if she doesn't quit!!(just kidding)Happy harvest and yall take care

Latest posts