First heirloom tomato

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I picked my first ripe heirlooms for the year today. I didn't think they were ripe since they still had some yellow stripes going down from the stem end, but when I squeezed them a little they felt a bit soft like a ripe tomato does. I picked four and cut one open and it does appear to be ripe. They are fireworks tomatoes and though the pictures I have seen of them appear to be a pretty uniform red, maybe the yellow stripes are where they got their name from...

DSCN1964.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very pretty!

I've wanted to try Fireworks. Local gardeners claim they are a good choice for the area just south of me. Supposed to be a guaranteed early variety.

The 1st ones may not have many seeds but remember which plant did the best for you and save some seeds ;)!

Steve

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm eagerly looking forward to my first tomatos. My Purple Cherokee are just starting to show color and man, they'r huge. I've never seen Cherokees this big.

GrowsLotsaPeppers

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
If those Fireworks tomatoes smell right, and taste sweet, then you got them at the right time.

We're hoping for our first tomatoes next weekend, right on the Fourth. Usually within a couple of days of that, by our experience. We had plenty of rain this year, and it is just getting hot this last week. The air conditioning has run most of the last three or four days, so there should be enough ripening.

Our youngest granddaughter has brought in three very green specimens, the consistency of a golf ball. She's not three yet, so she's still learning.

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
GrowsLotsaPeppers said:
If those Fireworks tomatoes smell right, and taste sweet, then you got them at the right time.
That's the funny thing... I have no idea if they taste and smell right. I don't care for tomatoes and never eat them unless they are in a sauce or something like that. I planted several different varieties this year to try and find one I actually like. I will be using these for salsa later today.