First ripe tomato of 2012!

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Zone 7b here, seeds started in mid-January (when I couldn't stand the dark and cold anymore and needed to see something green!) and moved to the greenhouse when it warmed up enough:

120505_6564 by wsmoak, on Flickr

I also have a trio of Early Girl plants started at the same time, but I planted those out in the garden a while back, and they are 5' tall and filled out -- but no red tomatoes yet. I guess it's the warmer temps in the greenhouse that have pushed the Siberians along faster, because they are surely not getting more sunlight -- the greenhouse is shaded by an oak tree. (Everything here is shaded by an oak tree. Or a hickory tree.)

Anyone else?

-Wendy

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am happy to see my seedlings with their first true leaves!! Nothing as beautiful as a ripe tomato! I am going to plant a couple tomato plants in the dirt, inside my greenhouse- as an experiment. Will you keep those plants in the greenhouse, wsmoak?

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa said:
Will you keep those plants in the greenhouse, wsmoak?
Yes. They don't get much sun so they are leggy and sprawling all over (even though I whacked off several branches early on.) I don't think I could carry them out to the garden, or tip the pots over to get them out, without major damage to the plants. I think I'll use a better behaved bush type in the greenhouse next year. :)

-Wendy

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
You may have beat everyone in the Tomato race, Oak, but I will be the one to get the first Squash. {evil laugh}

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Detlor Poultry said:
You may have beat everyone in the Tomato race, Oak, but I will be the one to get the first Squash. {evil laugh}
LOL. I lost all my squash to those horrible vine borers last year, I haven't felt like planting any. :(

But I think the first tomato award goes to... who is it with the hydroponic setup who had tomatoes in winter?

-Wendy

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Try rumbo squash. It is very productive and so delicious and versatile in cooking. It is not the same as the summer squashes but, no pest seems to touch it.http://www.jungseed.com/dp.asp?pID=03662&c=138&p=Rumbo+Hybrid+Squash

You could also try a squash in a big tub with the bottom cut out. The borer may not find it.
wsmoak said:
Detlor Poultry said:
LOL. I lost all my squash to those horrible vine borers last year, I haven't felt like planting any. :(

But I think the first tomato award goes to... who is it with the hydroponic setup who had tomatoes in winter?

-Wendy

Latest posts