First sign of Spring

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
At noon today, I saw 5 Robins and about a dozen Junkos in our front and back yards. I haven't seen any of these since Sept. The 2 "Black Lace" Elderberry buds are starting to swell too. Most of the rhubarb are starting to show new growth. :ya We are about 10 miles N of Vancouver, Wa. in SW Washington The Robins were devouring my worm hordes while the Junkos were siting in the trees and skittering among the lawn clippings and boulders. The temperature was at 35* this morning and will be 45* by late afternoon. It just started to rain and the WS predicted a new storm arriving every day for the next week. Early Spring ? :caf

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is zero here and the back yard is full of Juncos. We usually can't count on spring before mid-late March. When does spring usually arrive there?

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We also have Juncos during the winter, except for these past two sub-zero days! I have seen Robins come a little too early for spring, I have seen some when there was still snow on the ground. The Bluebirds and Kingfishers seem to know know when to come back.

Being in WA, Bob might have a different species of Junco.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think those robins just realized that they overshot their mark & drifted too far south, Bob.

We have had juncos, now & then. They don't seem very consistent.

Our snow is melting and the arterials are plowed and wet.

I'm sure nothing wants to grow. Maybe I can find out how deep the ground is frozen without going out with a pick.

Okay, it is 35.6° @ 20" in Odessa. Of course, Odessa is a long way out in the Basin.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
We generally get some nice warm days in February, but I don't know if they are worth the shock and disappointment of the polar plunge that happens the next day. I guess I need to just appreciate each day for what it is. :weee

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
We got 6 inches overnight and off and on today. It's currently snowing big fat flakes.
I'm happy to see it cover all that old stale stuff and the ice. Maybe tomorrow I'll try on my new snowshoes. It's not really snowshoeable but I want to play with my new toys. :D

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
In Central Ca. the orchards start to be in bloom by Feb. 15th. In Wa. spring arrives a week +/- later

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
bob, you are So lucky!
It is warmer here than it has been in weeks - it is a whopping 9! My rhubarb is under about 2 feet of snow. Great to know there is still life out there somewhere!

Latest posts