First snow today, putting my rear in gear to prep for winter

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
OMG! We're going to have a frost tonight... then back into the 70's for the week. I am barely ready for frost. We ran out at 6:30pm with sheets and trying to repair our hoop set up for the plastic sheets from last year.

Needless to say, tomorrow I HAVE to get that plastic on.

AND I need to that last bed finished and get those onions and garlic bulbs in when they come this week.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have been offline for a couple of days and just getting caught up.
Today here is beautiful and now they are saying rain for the latter part of the week.
I hate this screwy weather you never know how to dress from one day to the next.

Steve, I have read about the winter being worse this year online from a few sources and in the newspaper and it seems to be common knowledge around here.
Everyone is talking about it.
Someone sent me an e-mail the other day and asked me if I was ready for this winter with the chickens and bees and all that.
It just seems everyone is expecting it.
There are some sources who read the weather by the animals actions, how thick their coats are and how they behave and how early the bees start to pack it in for winter and things like that.
According to them they are saying to prepare for a bad winter as well.
They had a talk on bees the other night at the club and it came up that it seems the bees are preparing for a long winter too.

You never know who is right, I mean we had a blizzard on April Fools day one year and no one predicted that.
We just woke up and couldn't open our doors.
I would rather be safe than sorry though.
I love the season changes in New England but I don't enjoy long bitter cold winters either.
I really hate going out in the cold if I don't have to so I try to be prepared so I don't have to deal with it more than I have to.
As long as I have food and firewood stocked up I should be comfortable.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
THIS is going to be a good book reading winter. YOU KNOW--cats and dogs laying on/around you and your warm blanket (which is what they REALLY are laying on), good book in your hands, a nice cup of tea, or coffee, or hot chocolate on the table besides you. Perhaps a few gardening catalogs also begging for attention?!?