First time Canning - Suggestions Fresh Salsa Recipes?

myfirstgarden

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I went to a canning workshop and won a canning pot! I told my neighbor about it and am going to show her how to can on Friday.
Any ideas, suggestions, easy recipes, for a first time caner?
I kind of want to make salsa, but I can find fresh local zucchini, tomato, onions, jalapenos for $1 a pound and blackberries for free (if I pick, which for some reason I love doing, but are delicious fresh).

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well you can waterbath can any of it. I know there is a website with TONS of recipes and help canning as well. I like to visit: www.pickyourown.org

schmije

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Look for Mrs. Wages seasoning packs at the grocery store. They'll be with the canning supplies. The Hot Salsa is our favorite, but we also make lots of Pasta Sauce. You'll need minimal ingredients, and the instructions are on the package. Around here they cost about $3. It's great for a new canner. :)

If you want to go from scratch, check out the Ball Blue Book. It's got great recipes.

cityfarmer

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Ball Blue Book is a great book for starters. I also have the Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving. I seldom have the quantities from my garden of ripe tomatoes all at the same time that the Ball recipes call for and we like their salsa recipe better.

Latest posts