First Time Turkeys

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Pretty sure they are all hens, by this age there should be some sort of a beard visiable and their snood should be starting to hang down past their beaks.

THANX RICH

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Out of pure curiosity...how much do those critters eat? And how long to harvest?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
well, broad breasted eat A LOT! :lol: they almost gorge themselves till they pop or their legs/heart give out. heritage breeds tend to eat less because they are not growing as quickly so their demand for feed is much lower.

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Here are some pics of Thomas. He's our patriotic turkey who turns all red, white and blue when he's excited. He's currently 4 months old

IMG_3762_zps4556c3cd.jpg

IMG_3761_zps32a01ea5.jpg

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I plan butchering the first one in October, this being the first time we don't want to bank on this being perfect for Thanksgiving. As for how much they eat, when they were still in the brooder I couldn't keep enough food in there for them, they were quite piggy. They were started on granulated 28% game bird grower (they don't make it in pelleted form here). Now they share 20% layer pellets with the hens. Granulated food tends to get spilled on the floor, but I still give them a bowl of the 28% with scratch as a treat everyday.

Based on the picture of Thomas they are hens. I just wasn't sure until now. Thank you all for the input. :)

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thomas got gamebird til he was 2 months old. Now he free ranges with the laying hens and he does have access to their lay crumbles. I have no idea how much he weighs but I can't pick him up anymore. He used to like it. I would really like to buy some heritage birds next year. I had no idea turkeys had so much personality!

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The smallest of the four is having problems today. She is eating and drinking but can't stand or walk. I suspect it was a hard landing off the roost this morning. The others were really pecking her head so she is in isolation in the garage. We have check her over pretty well and there don't seem to be any blockages at either end.

She has had leg problems in the past and gotten over it, however this time it may be too much. If she does not improve we will have to butcher her tomorrow. This will be good practice for this fall. :(

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am sorry your turkey is having problems. But like you say, it will be good practice. But still, it makes you feel bad when an animal you have raised gets hurt.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
some of mine have a hard time coming off the roost too. sorry you've got a hurt bird. the color on them is amazing

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The worst part was the other turkeys and the chickens pecking her head. For her safety and respect she is in quarantine until we know what to do.

The purpose of raising these birds was for meat and we will honor that purpose. The timing just isn't perfect but what does nature care about our plan? Just be prepared to do the job. :fl