Fishtank water

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have Reverse Osmosis water in the house, but the outdoor taps aren't hooked into the system. With that said, we don't use any type of chemicals in our tanks other than the occasional times that I do use some of the outdoor water in the tanks and then it gets some dechlorinator.

My question is, is there any reason not to use the water (and fish poo) in the garden? We've only got some aquatic snails and some guppies. Monk has a Betta (who is orange andnamed Tangerine) tho.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use my dirty fish water in my indoor plants all the time- have for years. The only issue is that the smell is not pleasant;) But out in the garden it would be perfect!

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks Lesa! Hubs was worried that it might harm the plants. I didn't think it would. :D

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I use floating pond planters and grow stuff IN the pond water (filled with Rosy minnows) as well as use plants to filter the water. If fish poo were deadly, then why are my biggest, healthiest plants in the pond system?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
never hear a complaint from my peppers the many years i've used fish tank/filter water on them! in fact they seem to thrive on the stuff! but i've had koi and goldfish so it is like a never ending supply of the stuff!!!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh absolutely, it's GREAT on the garden! If the tank wasn't too skanky when you did the water change, it's good for houseplants too.

Pat

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
USE IT! Its rich in disolved nitrates and will make a difference for your plants. Indoor or outdoors doesn't matter whoever gets it will benefit from it.

MuranoFarms

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
And if the water is really skanky, just dilute it.
Or sit the houseplants out on the porch for a day. The smell goes away pretty quick.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well.. I'm not sure if it was the fish poo water or what... but all of those plants TOOK OFF!!!!! It's almost like you can sit and watch them grow!!

Latest posts