Fixing up an Old Lawnmower

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
I have a Montgomery Ward lawnmower my Dad bought... at least 30 years ago, probably more. I've been using it as my "weed lawnlower" for the past 10 years.

It has run surprisingly well during those years I've owned it, even though I've not taken care of it properly. Each Spring when I pull it out of the shed, I'm always expecting it to not run... but it surprises me each time it does.

Well, this year it didn't :(

I watched some videos (below) and things looked pretty old, dirty, and needing a lot of attention:
mower-1.jpg

So I undertook some learning and work:

1) Drained all the horrible old gas
2) Replaced the gas line that was cracked / leaking
3) Took out the carb bowl and cleaned it all up, including the plugged-up bowl nut (most videos show this is usually the main problem) with carb cleaner
4) Carb cleaner all around everything
5) New spark-plug & air filter

Looked a bit better:

mower-2.jpg

... but still didn't start up :(

Did some trouble-shooting, and discovered this:
spark-plulg-gap.jpg

Turns out "spark plug gap" is a bit more important to check than I realized

Now it runs GREAT!
:celebrate

Finally was able to do some overdue weed abatement :D

163069202_443972066848962_1800118363358948779_n.jpg

163754981_1052424021918137_423692092113755828_n.jpg

Videos that were VERY helpful in the process:

Oh, and I was able to do some MAJOR tune-ups on my string trimmer carburetor too following this video:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
that is a lot of green there! for some reason i had put you down for a drier climate and also a smaller lot. :)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is something satisfying about fixing something-especially a piece of equipment that reminds you of someone.

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
that is a lot of green there!
LOL, give the wild oat a couple of weeks and it will get dry and tan. Right now all the hills and mountains are SUPER green with it, but once we stop getting rain, it quickly dries up and becomes a big fire hazard!

for some reason i had put you down for a drier climate and also a smaller lot.
I'm in a pretty temperate (and almost ideal) climate in the SF Bay Area. I'm in the suburbs and purchased the house I grew up in, which has a good sized lot. :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
WOW! You make it look so easy, I am tempted to follow in your mowing steps. The ONLY piece that I will not feel comfortable fixing is replacing the blade. I would be afraid that a new blade would get put on too loose and chop off my feet as I walk behind it!! :eek:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm in a pretty temperate (and almost ideal) climate in the SF Bay Area. I'm in the suburbs and purchased the house I grew up in, which has a good sized lot. :)

so you are a billionaire! :) j/k :)

congrats though to being in a nice place with a bit of room around you.

as for dry season fire hazard that's scary in a city. eek!

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Those little machines are fairly robust given a little love. By way of unsolicited tips, you can tweak the governer if you want higher rpms. Something else that helps is using 89 or higher octane gas. The additives in quality brands help clean things and they tend to not gum up sitting around in my experience. The higher octane resists early burn and mainly helps them run cooler. There is a product for cleaning the interior of the fuel system called sea foam. It works pretty well, but you probably want a new spark plug after cleaning so maybe next tuneup? Those machines all used SAE 30w oil. Its ok and probably better to use 10w-30 as it flows better but protects like a 30 weight as specified. 30w is slowly becoming less popular. If you use a synthethic grade oil, the heat related breakdown of the oil is greatly reduced. Its probably overkill if you change it annually.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My mechanic Dad always said that oil change was the cheapest maintenance you can do.
Literally draining the sand out helps a lot. I am suprised the oil is not even more contaminated with abrasives by the time it needs changed. Oil has a real affinity for minerals. Maybe because that is where it was made, in the dirt.

Latest posts