Flippin' kids! X(

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My four year old was helping me in the garden over the weekend and he broke my first bell pepper off the plant.

It was SO cute and so tiny--about marble size. I was really proud of it (oh look! I had a baby bell pepper.) And along comes Brennan, "Ooo!" <snap> breaks it right off for me.

I bet the way my face turned purple and lava spewed out of my head, he probably won't do it again. LOL

Cassandra

amyquilt

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen with my tomatoes 2 summers ago. My then 5yo dd thought that the baby tomato was just so cute and ready to eat. :/

Dixiedoodle

Leafing Out
Reaction score
When my youngest was 3--he was helping me in the garden. He had been 'picking' (translation+pulling them up by the roots) wild flowers and bring them to me...I would thank him, brag what a wonderfullllllll son he was, and tell him I loved him.... well, after about 5 flower deliveries, he brings me the entire tomato plant! "Cuz it had pretty pink Christmas balls on it"!!!! What is a mother to say???? I sat there almost in tears and he said "You happy, Momma"?? :D

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
*Edited by Tutter, who realizes this post didn't sound as intended. And who meant to imply that the kids were too cute to get upset with, even if they pulled the best tomato plant.* :)

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Awwww. Been there, had that done to me as well. Although, in our case, it was two little nephews who picked 2 of the first 3 lemons on the lemon tree. A whole year was a looooooooong time to wait for lemons again!

Perhaps this is a teaching moment . . . . :D Maybe make a piece of paper the size that a bell pepper should be when it is picked and make him responsible to measure it every few days to see how it's progressing. Then, when it's the right size, let him pick the prize pepper.

Hope you get your bell peppers soon!

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Dixiedoodle said:
When my youngest was 3--he was helping me in the garden. He had been 'picking' (translation+pulling them up by the roots) wild flowers and bring them to me...I would thank him, brag what a wonderfullllllll son he was, and tell him I loved him.... well, after about 5 flower deliveries, he brings me the entire tomato plant! "Cuz it had pretty pink Christmas balls on it"!!!! What is a mother to say???? I sat there almost in tears and he said "You happy, Momma"?? :D
:lol: :lol: :gig

HAHAHA Christmas balls

:gig

Cassandra

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Backyard Buddies said:
Maybe make a piece of paper the size that a bell pepper should be when it is picked and make him responsible to measure it every few days to see how it's progressing. Then, when it's the right size, let him pick the prize pepper.
You know, that is a great idea. I think I will do that. I grew peppers a couple of years ago--just a couple of plants in pots. And *I* picked the peppers when they were about half the size they were supposed to get. I just couldn't wait!

I wonder where he gets that from....

Hm. Anyway I'm off to make some pepper drawings.

Cassandra

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's an excellent idea!

(I still have plenty of opportunities for early picking, as a child will be helping me this year..... ) :D

Pat

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Well mine wasn't a kid... but I had a woman come and week my herb garden (today in fact) I told what I wanted to keep repeatedly!!! I go out an hour later and she has removed everything!!!! :rant :barnie I couldn't believe it I didn't know what to say... except she said she's be back Thursday and I said ummm no that's ok ~

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Pat said:
Well mine wasn't a kid... but I had a woman come and week my herb garden (today in fact) I told what I wanted to keep repeatedly!!! I go out an hour later and she has removed everything!!!! :rant :barnie I couldn't believe it I didn't know what to say... except she said she's be back Thursday and I said ummm no that's ok ~
KILL!!!!

:barnie

Cassandra

Latest posts