Florida growers?? Or smart growers? Tomato as fall plant?

ecopepper

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I was wondering if I should start a new set of tomato plants for fall planting. I have a bit of southern blight but have some sprouts that I clipped to see if it would take over the propigations. I would like some big tomatoes but have had no luck with any so far. My heirloom pink brandywine never produced. II have got alot of roma and 100 cherry that did okay. I just don't seem to get a large amount like some people. I usually plant sugar snap peas around sept. cabbage, broccilli, lettuce and carrots and onions. Anything else I can throw in?

ecopepper

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
LOL Our first cold snap is sometimes in late october. I am zone 9. November 30th is the first frost date but January is usually the worst. But I could green house them too. Well I mean I can cover them because I have a type of screen over them right now. I could throw a tarp or black tarp over them too. The sun will hit that bed all winter too. I grow lots of what I suggested in there all winter. Haven't covered it yet for winter because it is a new thing the DH built me to keep out the squirrels and chickens.

ecopepper

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Adding up the date from transplant I would be pushing it a bit I think. But I want some big tomatoes. Not my forte. Maybe I will pull that silly heirloom out and try again. But maybe not waste to much space on it?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It seems to me you have two problems. Tomatos originated in a tropical climate so even a light frost knocks them back. The other is that tomatos are sensitive to day length. Here in San Diego we almost never have a frost but I can't get them to bloom after October even if the weather stays warm.
It seems to me your best bet is to plant them as soon as you are reasonably sure there will be no more frost. They may not seem to be growing much that early but they will be establishing roots so they are ready to go with the first warm weather.

ecopepper

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thank you Hodat and wifzilla.....I think I will try a plant and see how far I get. Kinda expierment. This crazy weather kinda bends all the rules. But when early November hits I think I am done for. And that leaves me with 77 days minimum.....with taking in the time change. I tell ya if I knew math was required for gardening I would not be doing it lol. :barnie

Latest posts