Flower ID

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A few years ago I bought some day lilies from someone at a flea market. Every year since another plant has grown with it, but I don't know what it is. The leaves look very similar to the day lily, only they are a bit thinner. I couldn't get a photo of the leaves because they are hidden in the day lilies.The flowers are just starting to bloom now and they are very pretty. They start out in what looks like a paper that encases all the buds. This grows on a long stem that I have to stake or it will lay on the ground. The flowers are small, only an inch or two. I have a few photos of the flowers. Anyone have any idea what this is.
DSC_0001_zps41697b14.jpg

DSC_0004_zps3060bbe3.jpg

DSC_0003_zpscbbfae43.jpg

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve is right, @annageckos! Frittilaries come in smaller sizes to match squill and grape hyacinth, but the Crown Imperials at three feet tall are right up with gladiator alliums in size.

Tradescantia, or Spiderwort (also known as Widow's Tears) is another spring flower with a far longer blooming period than the frits.

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have widow's tears, I've always liked them. These don't really look close. The frittilaries look close, but I couldn't find any that matched. I'll have to dig through the day lily and find the leaves. They are long and thin and don't stay upright like the day lily. The flower stalk doesn't have any leaves, it's long too. Maybe three feet, it would trail on the ground if I didn't stake it. I wish I would have gotten a photo of the wrapper that was around the flowers. It was white and papery. Over all the whole plant is probably 3-4 feet tall.

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I FOUND IT!! I was searching though google images using different key words and came across one photo that was the same as mine. It's called ... ok, can't paste the name. Common name then, Mediterranean Bells. One of many names. Does anyone else have issues trying to copy/paste on this forum? The paste option was grayed out.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh cool! When you first mentioned about the paper wrapper i thought of a garlic or chive, but then the picture of the bloom didnt look like anything i recognized as such...its really nice!

Latest posts