Flowering Leeks

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So, about 6 of my leek plants decided to bloom on me. I though they were so pretty I didn't care. However, I was wondering if I could still harvest the leek when its done to eat, or its gone bitter? I know my onions are still good for eating right away (not storable) after the bloom, so I was hoping the leeks would be the same.

Holachicka

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm wondering too! I just snapped a stem that looked like it was going to contain a flower bud off one of my leeks. Hope someone answers soon!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Those flowers are soooooooooooo beautiful! My neighbors and friends have been in AWE over them since they've been going... and they're HUGE!

I'm just afraid that flowering would cause woodiness to the leek and it wouldn't be all lovely to put in a stir fry or sauce for me. :( And I'd hate to cut that pretty flower now and find out it wasn't even edible.

I need to go buy some flowering Aliums and get over this! HAHAHAHA

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know those flowering alliums are expensive- but you will not be sorry to have them! I planted a couple in my front garden years ago. Two have multiplied to 5- and they are my absolute favorite spring bulb! Everyone asks about them and the bees are crazy for them. I have some of the smaller ones, which are fun- but do not compare to the giants!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
lesa said:
I know those flowering alliums are expensive- but you will not be sorry to have them! I planted a couple in my front garden years ago. Two have multiplied to 5- and they are my absolute favorite spring bulb! Everyone asks about them and the bees are crazy for them. I have some of the smaller ones, which are fun- but do not compare to the giants!
I want the giants!!!!! :p

Oh My, I am seriously intrigued with these... I don't even go ga ga over roses like these. Those beautiful symmetrical balls are a wonder of nature. :D

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
The funny thing is the bees go right inside the giant "ball". It is so cool watching them dart inside and disappear-then out they come!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Back to my scolding, schoolmarm tone . . .

You know, V - leeks are biennials.

You may have to just enjoy the blooms on those plants.

Steve
BTW - save the seed!