Flowers for winter

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
DH likes to bring plants into house and try to keep something blooming all winter. He stuck a fuchsia and a cactus in the same pot. We now have blooms on both. I love having them over my sink to enjoy.
kitchen flowers 2018-19 (1).jpg
kitchen flowers 2018-19 (2).jpg
kitchen flowers 2018-19 (3).jpg

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
:ep
Those are BEAUTIFUL!!! I consider it a great accomplishment if I can keep from killing the spider plants and a few assorted other green potted things while they are inside for the winter. I don't think I've EVER had something that lovely in the house!
:love

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Growing a flowering plant during the winter surely helps dispel the winter doldrums somewhat. My fragrant carnation has about a dozen buds ready to open and the zinnia has about the same number. Also, I have two orchids in spike and they probably will last until the arrival of spring.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
for us in the ancient days where i was keeping a lot more house plants it was christmas cacti that i liked for winter flowers.

i also picked up a cactus that someone was going to throw out called:

hatiora salicornioides

and kept it easily for many years before i too gave it away when i was finally moving away and could not move it easily (along with my fish tanks, the ancient IBM PC, my fishing gear and many boxes of paperback books including some really nice collections from certain authors). :( :( :(

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
View attachment 30133 My Bougainvillea has outdone itself this winter. I cannot even get a photo to do it justice. It brings me joy every time I look at it in these frigid days. Long lasting blooms.
This is gorgeous, Cat. I used to have a bougainvillea that had variegated leaves. It was a real treat in full bloom. Somehow I managed to kill it. :oops:

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is gorgeous, Cat. I used to have a bougainvillea that had variegated leaves. It was a real treat in full bloom. Somehow I managed to kill it. :oops:
They are hard to kill-sorry. Lack of, or too much water? Mine is over 30 years old. I think I repotted it once. I am thinking it may need it again. The blooms are so long lasting it gives me great pleasure through this winter. 9 degrees this morning.

Latest posts