Flowers for winter

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
[QUOTE="catjac1975, post: 346484, member: 2197" A cactus that blooms when it does for you.[/QUOTE]
:p Didn't know that. Certainly cheery in March, esPECIALLY THIS March!!
The ONLY cheery thing this cold and gloomy March is it our favorite local Pub/Eatery, which missed out selling corned beef and cabbage in 2017, is having a corned beef and cabbage fund raiser for their volunteer fire department on Sunday, the 17th.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
If it isn't and Thanksgiving cactus, or a Christmas cactus, certainly not an Easter cactus...what is it?
Actually it is a Thanksgiving cactus. But it was put in basement an d just brought up a few weeks ago. It loves the window I guess and is now blooming like wild. Even the one that was in kitchen all winter is budding to bloom again!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
[QUOTE="catjac1975, post: 346484, member: 2197" A cactus that blooms when it does for you.
:p Didn't know that. Certainly cheery in March, esPECIALLY THIS March!!
The ONLY cheery thing this cold and gloomy March is it our favorite local Pub/Eatery, which missed out selling corned beef and cabbage in 2017, is having a corned beef and cabbage fund raiser for their volunteer fire department on Sunday, the 17th.[/QUOTE]
YUMM Sounds great … hope they are able to raise lots of money for the VFD.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My 2nd Amaryllis with lots of green and NO flowers!!!! :barnie
Fertilize it through summer. There is a chance it will send out a flower now but unlikely. Are these old ones or new purchases? I buy cheap ones in the big box stores like anyone else. However, I always open the boxes to check the bulb quality. If you can't see the tip of the bloom I do not buy it. Those plants are not top quality. That's why they are cheap. The expensive bulbs will send out as many a 3-4 bloom stalks. I fertilize and leave mine outdoors all summer allowing the greens to do the bulb building. Then bring them in in the fall and let the greens dry up-takes quite a while. Start watering again and they should bloom. I have many that look like they will be great blooms this late winter. I just brought 4 into my kitchen that are non to open. The buds are huge. I have many more getting ready in my greenhouse.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Clearance Christmas Amaryllis. I will try putting it out in a bed with compost in May and see how it goes. Don't I pull it out of the ground, put it in a pot on it's side with all the dirt knocked off and store in a dark, dry place (inside) for 10 weeks? Thanks!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Clearance Christmas Amaryllis. I will try putting it out in a bed with compost in May and see how it goes. Don't I pull it out of the ground, put it in a pot on it's side with all the dirt knocked off and store in a dark, dry place (inside) for 10 weeks? Thanks!
No, none of that. They prefer not to be repotted. They like to be tight in a pot. In the sun, dry out until the leaves die.

Latest posts