Flowers or Weeds?

margali

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am trying to clean up the flower bed along my house. It's was massively overgrown last year with tall grass. I've got all the grass pulled but I don't know if these should go too.

Wild carrot? It had a really long taproot.
IMAG0451.jpg

I'm pretty sure this was planted intentionally but I don't know what it is. Spreading by roots to make new plants.
IMAG0458.jpg

Not sure if these last two are flowers or weeds. The red one seems to have one big root with a dozen shoots coming up.
IMAG0453.jpg

IMAG0457.jpg

Any suggestions would help. I'm trying to get things cleaned up in time to plant nice flowers.

Margali

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Photo one looks like several weeds, queen annes lace, wild carrot or wild parsnip.
Photo two looks like a type of lily.
Photo 3 looks like peony. KEEPER.
Photo 4 looks like some type of varigated ground cover.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Margali. The first one could be queen Annes lace, but hemlock looks similar so be careful and have it ID'ed positively.

#2 daylily

#3 looks like Bleeding Heart.

#4 looks like aegopodium, aka Bishops weed around here. This one is tough to eliminate. I made the mistake of planting it in a bed and have been pulling it for 3 years. Don't let it flower and go to seed! If you use herbicide it would be slightly easier, but even then you have to stay on top of it.

Oh! Carol Dee posted first, yep, #3 sure could be peony!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree with the previous posts. And #4 should be destroyed any way you can. It will take over any area, and it stinks.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Let me join the chorus...#4 = bad!! We call it snow on the mountain...takes over everything!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle nailed it, although it is possible number 3 could pass as a Peony. If that stem is soft and tender it's more likely a bleeding heart, if it's woody it's more likely to be a Peony. Both of them are keepers for the right spot.

Number 2 sure looks like a daylily. CatJac is our daylily expert, and could maybe tell you what type it is. Any Daylily is nice to have in the right place.

The Queen Anne's Lace number one there is a definite weed. Ya know, something about your version of it is different than the kind that grows here. yours has darker and frillier leaves.

Aegopodium might be a powerful take over the world plant, but the other view on them is that in the right shade conditions it can do a nice fill under trees, and can be tended with sharp shears once a year to look real nice.

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have #4 in my garden ( I didn't plant it), it spreads but not bad at all. It is well behaved here. I think a lot of it has to do with your area and your soil. We have clay, the plants do well but they do not take over.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Once you get the garden going with lots of mulch good and deep, plant the right things, it can be easy.

Latest posts