Foie Gras: Evidence of a Cruel and Illegal Food System

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
http://www.commondreams.org/view/2012/05/09-8

I am not a ninny nor am I squeamish when it comes to eating. I eat meat and sometimes I become a vegetarian. I can do any at the drop of a hat. Some years ago, I became a vegetarian and it saved my life. Later due to surgery, I believe that I need more B-12 in my diet, so I added back some meat and it has helped.

You can get B-12 from vegetables but it is tougher to do. I present this article for informing the public on some health risks. I would probably not be allowed to post this on Backyard Chickens. What a shame.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."- JOHN ADAMS - Second President of the United States - B. 1735 - Died July 4, 1826 at the age of 90.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had no idea that's how you got Foie Gras. :(

I've been watching Gordon Ramsays The f Word, and they were making it on the first episode. I thought it looked awefully HUGE (and yellow) to be a liver.

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm finding myself unable to not post a rebuttal, regardless of the intention of the original post.

There are inhumane battery farms cranking out eggs, and there are free-range farms collecting eggs from natural nests. Two sides, every story.

I was a vegetarian for years. I added back meat over the last 10 years, but would like to go veggie again (if I can give up my best friend's cooking).

Sustainable, Humane Foie Gras: http://www.cheeseslave.com/chef-dan-barber-brings-sustainable-humane-foie-gras-to-america/ (lots of links, lecture, etc packed into this one blog post)

I don't wanna argue, but this IS an interesting topic. If it's not all troll-y and preachy.

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Back in the Day, when I was 12, more specifically when Caesar Augustus was inaugerated as Emperor of Rome, we got foie gras by feeding the geese a hash made out of oats, honey and barley. The geese ate it (no they ate it. They didn't have it smashed down their throats), and it inflamed thier livers. Foie Gras, the right way. The geese wer enjoying themselves when they were consuming food.

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
joz said:
I'm finding myself unable to not post a rebuttal, regardless of the intention of the original post.

There are inhumane battery farms cranking out eggs, and there are free-range farms collecting eggs from natural nests. Two sides, every story.

I was a vegetarian for years. I added back meat over the last 10 years, but would like to go veggie again (if I can give up my best friend's cooking).

Sustainable, Humane Foie Gras: http://www.cheeseslave.com/chef-dan-barber-brings-sustainable-humane-foie-gras-to-america/ (lots of links, lecture, etc packed into this one blog post)

I don't wanna argue, but this IS an interesting topic. If it's not all troll-y and preachy.
I only troll while fishing. :p

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome back LadyHawke! I missed your posts there for a few weeks.

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I am an unabashed carnivore, I cook some sort of meat with every meal, but I don't think animals should be treated the way they are in our food system. That's why we raise our own chickens for eggs, rabbits for meat, and have dairy goats (with cows and pigs next on the list.) That way I know that the meat, eggs, and milk are unadulterated and healthy.
I don't think regulation is the answer though, we need to stop buying from companies that treat animals that way. Rather than expecting the government to fix problems (cause they never do a good job of it) we need to be responsible for our own decisions. If you don't like the way a company does business, don't buy from them, simple as that. When the demand for a product dries up the supply goes away.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well... I didn't mean to imply that it was the ONLY way to get foie gras... I just didn't know how it became the way it did. I've never had it... tho I hear it tastes sort of like butter. I would like to try it.. but I want to know that mine came from a humane source.

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The Mama Chicken said:
I am an unabashed carnivore, I cook some sort of meat with every meal, but I don't think animals should be treated the way they are in our food system. That's why we raise our own chickens for eggs, rabbits for meat, and have dairy goats (with cows and pigs next on the list.) That way I know that the meat, eggs, and milk are unadulterated and healthy.
I don't think regulation is the answer though, we need to stop buying from companies that treat animals that way. Rather than expecting the government to fix problems (cause they never do a good job of it) we need to be responsible for our own decisions. If you don't like the way a company does business, don't buy from them, simple as that. When the demand for a product dries up the supply goes away.
Yours is a noble endeavor and I think most of us here strive for those ideals. However, the government is of, by and for the people. The government is us. The government is a tool. It is structure, a delivery system to provide for the people of this country. It is those who run certain areas of the government on our behalf that need us to discipline them. We do that by making them obey our wishes or they will be removed from those offices.

To weaken this structure by letting runaway corporations run our affairs for profit only endangers the wellbeing of the very people that our government is supposed to serve.

As for regulations..what if there were no rules in a football game. What would you have? We out here in TV land all have live with regulations, why should private enterprise be any different. Why should profits come before the peoples welfare?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_beef_scandal

A civilized society lives by regulations. Regulations are what the people create and put in place for the good of all.

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
Well... I didn't mean to imply that it was the ONLY way to get foie gras... I just didn't know how it became the way it did. I've never had it... tho I hear it tastes sort of like butter. I would like to try it.. but I want to know that mine came from a humane source.
My foodie friend who wrenched me out of vegetarianism (and will likely never let me return) insists that when you are at a restaurant and foie gras is on the menu you MUST order it, because it will be the best thing on the menu. I have had it, and enjoyed it tremendously. I recommend a plain french bread or crostini as a delivery system, and a savory/fruity chutney or jam to accompany. If it has been seared it is crispy crusty on the outside, and warm and rich inside.

Restaurants that are conscientious about sourcing their ingredients take pride in the fact, and are usually quite happy to answer your questions. I was blessed to work for a small restaurant where the owner/chef knew where nearly every ingredient in his kitchen came from. He would chat with customers deeply about how the availability of Fuyu persimmons inspired a two dishes on the menu this week, and how excited he is that the conditions in the Northwest were perfect for an extended harvest of fiddlehead ferns and he could keep a very popular soup on the menu for another week or two. As a bartender/server, I was expected to know key information about these ingredients and about the booze (we had a very specialty bar). Most places aren't small enough to engage in that kind of deep discussion, but you should be able to ask where ingredients came from, and if the server doesn't know, the floor or kitchen manager will.

Foie gras has been a hot topic for a while now. Frankly, I can't imagine a chef putting it on their menu without anticipating questions from their customers. Fabulous restaurants will be excited you asked so they can tell you all about how concerned they are about livestock welfare and sustainable farming practices.

Latest posts