Folks in the NorthEast, what have you planted so far?

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Potatoes and peas this week, glad I waited after freezing temps this week.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Potatoes, peas, beans, squash, melons, corn, lettuce, spinach, chard, beets, radish, carrots, onions, brussel sprouts and cabbage.
I direct sow most everything so the temps don't matter and the seedlings were not affected. I cover anything else when they predict a late freeze.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not quite as north as most of you, but we have been seeing some very late frosts and unusually cool weather (like...a *real* spring, like spring *used* to be). Our last frost date was May 1st, our last (so far) frost was a couple days ago. So far I only have cold season crops out mostly. And corn (not up yet), melons and pumpkins I started indoors (close call on that one), and potatoes. Tomatoes, peppers and eggplant in flats waiting for go. A few petunias out, but mostly in pots so I can bring them in if I have to. No other summer annuals yet.

But SOON! This have been the never-ending winter this year!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
All the cool weather crops are planted- onions, carrots, potatoes, swiss chard, lettuces, etc. Everything else is still in the cold frames- but I have high hopes for this weekend!!

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are approaching our last frost date and the long range forecast does not predict any frost on the horizon, so I am taking a chance and putting in some tomatoes and peppers. Started on the first of March, they have been growing in the greenhouse, and are just getting too big to leave in four inch pots. All of the plants have flowers, and, some have fruit about an inch in diameter. They are already big enough to be staked at this point.

51410.jpg

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Not too darn much, for me. Mainly because I have been deeply sidetracked by this whole sheep thing.

I only just put my potatoes in yesterday; tomatoes will get transplanted this weekend into wall-o-waters (my last frost isnt usually til sometime the first week of June); and I am planting some peas and spinach today and hope for a cool June :p

I should be harvesting rhubarb real soon now, so that's something :)

Pat

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just planted my taters today and nothing else has been put in the ground. Everyone who planted anything early around here got burned pretty badly....my sis, who never listens, lost everything she planted. She has a huge garden, so it would have been impossible for her to cover everything.

Our walnut trees were singed brown by the frost and many of the young saplings, but my apple trees did well, no damage.

I'm still a little leery even yet....I'll plant all my cold weather crops this week but I may hold back on maters and peppers right now. Corn and pumpkins will be planted next weekend....depending on the weather.

I've seen a killing frost on May 30th in these parts.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Onions, potatoes, and lettuce. I am getting ready to plant everything else now. Our frost date is 21 May, but the weather is nice and they aren't calling for anymore cold weather between now and then. Just have to wait for the garden to dry a little, we have had a ton of rain.

Latest posts