Food as gifts

seedcrazy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
So I am making baskets for bosses of canned goods and wondering what creative ways you present your jars? Fabric on top or just a tag? Also do you make homemade treats to put in a bag in your baskets, if so, what are your favorite recipes?

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I've seen a couple of different ways. Just the jar with a label on top. Wrap tissue paper up from the bottom of the jar so that it doesn't cover the whole thing (think cupcake tin). Then put several in a bag or basket, it looks cute. Or, the fabric tops tied with raffia and a wood tag, several in different colors looks good too.

My all time home run goody: chocolate covered pretzles. Knot or rod, everyone loves them!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think they make a nice presentation, definitely with the fabric on top, which is easily done...but also to add other theme-related items in there to round it out. Like a couple jams with some cookies, loose leaf teas and a tea ball, or something like pepper jelly and dipping mustard paired with summer sausage and crackers....that sort of thing. I'm doing gifts of real homemade vanilla extract this year along with some bakers items, potholder, etc. for the ladies in my family.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just got an email with a bunch of recipes for food gifts. Pancake and waffle mix, pasta fagiolo mix, and latte mix. I'm thinking about making the pasta fagioli for my kids teachers this year. If you want the recipes for any of those let me know and I'll post them. :)

nelson castro

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Just a tag will surely do, SIMPLE yet classy. Its definitely the thought that counts. ;)

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
When my wife packs them, she'll look for functional or very nice looking baskets that can be part of the gift too. We've also added seeds we've saved that are unique or very strong performers, and sometimes crackers or pretzels to go with some of the dips. I've also seen where people add a jar of pasta noodles if they include a sauce, or a recipe in a jar where they put all the dry goods in a single jar and have the directions included so all the receiver has to do is add the wet ingredients. Anything from cake to cookies to hot chocolate. Lot of ideas out there and all are well received.

Mickey328

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've used cloth for the tops as well as labels...folks seem to not care too much...it's what's inside that counts...literally! I find an inexpensive set of plastic bowls with lids and use them as the "basket"...that way they have something useful when it's empty. I also pick up some inexpensive little hand or tea towels and use them as the "stuffing" in the bowls. Usually, I include some of the goodies I make for us for the holidays...peanut brittle, fudge, cookies. I usually toss in a small candy cane or two...just to make it more "Christmas-y"

For "secret Santa" things at the office, I get inexpensive (I'm cheap ;) Christmas mugs and put in a bag of homemade mix...cappuchino, hot chocolate...and a candy can for a stir stick.

seedcrazy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Well I've already got baskets I collected this summer that are nice and sturdy and should hold 6-8 jars and I bought bags of the red basket filler from the Dollar Tree along with basket bags and have made up the bows and my bosses have already hinted of things they hope will be in a basket for them this year (salsa, bread & butter pickles, 1 said grape jelly, other said pear butter) so it will be a mixed basket of canned goodies, always starlight peppermints cause they both love them, now to figure out some sweet treats or homemade mini rum bundt cakes or something to add in.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have gotten away from the gift exchange for the adults, but still buy/make gifts for the kids in the family. However, I have a delish recipe for Bailey's Irish Creme that I bet my bro and sis and their spouses would really like. I'm not saying they are boozers, but........;)
I may make up a batch of that and give some to each. Not enough of a gift for them to feel like they need to reciprocate, but a nice little gesture. Don't you hate getting into the whole "Well, they gave us a gift, so now we have to give them one whether we can afford it or not" scene? Not exactly what the season is supposed to be about.

Latest posts