Fool Me Twice Shame On Me

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
We put sugar on everything! Even sweetened cereal. I remember the bottom of the bowl with a little milky beach of sugar. I can't even fathom why that was just a normal breakfast back then. We did mostly always have Shredded Wheat Bales and Grapenuts, occasionally mom would get Cheerios, but no Cap'n Crunch or Lucky Charms for us!
No, we just had to smother everything in a blanket of sugar.:\

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
We put sugar on everything! Even sweetened cereal. I remember the bottom of the bowl with a little milky beach of sugar. I can't even fathom why that was just a normal breakfast back then. We did mostly always have Shredded Wheat Bales and Grapenuts, occasionally mom would get Cheerios, but no Cap'n Crunch or Lucky Charms for us!
No, we just had to smother everything in a blanket of sugar.:\

I remember doing this too. I can't believe I'm still alive actually. :sick

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I limited my kids sugar all their growing up years, and we only rarely drank soda. Maybe twice a year, so it was reserved as only a special treat.
Kid#1 got a job at 17 at a local amusement park where in the employee break room they had access to unlimited soda. He thought this was so great and probably drank his weight every day. The next year he had 13 cavities.
He realized the connection and wished he had showed some restraint.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remember thinking that I was able to have an RC cola about once each summer month at Christiansen Market. If Mom had something to do at the next town over, there was some chance for me to be dropped off at the A & W for a root beer.

Soda pop never came home from the store. We would have ice tea when eating outdoors or in a park. Shoot! We had to get thru a gallon of milk each day, for a family of four and Dad is lactose intolerant.

Having cavities filled without Novocaine tended to focus the mind on dental care.

Steve
who has only lost 2 wisdom teeth so far, which may explain a lot unrelated to post

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We only occasionally got soda's as kids. Our drink was water for thirst and milk with meals. Sugar was added to everything. Mama didn't think young'uns should drink tea but Grandmother (against Mama's threats) gave us all the tea we wanted. Personally, I let my kids drink tea, coffee and DH buys soda so they drink way too much of it. Water is what I encourage and they drink gallons of that. Our Brita pitcher gets filled several times daily. Our cereal is usually oatmeal (sweetened for the kiddos) and every now and then cheerios that the Wildbunch like a little cereal with their sugar, lol.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately this seems the way it is with many of the fruits bought in the supermarkets now. It is my opinion they are picked when unripe and gassed on route to give them some color before they get to there destination. Look great, no blemishes but NO flavor :(. If picked ripe they have little shelf life.
Up here the tomatoes available right now look great but have absolutely NO flavor and have the texture of crisp cardboard. They get away with it because much of the population today haven't the faintest idea what a tomato should actually taste like, they don't have a garden, have never grown their own and have never tasted vine ripened. If this is what you are used to this is the flavor and texture you expect. On the other hand selling vine ripened has very little shelf life and quite often has to be discarded because they are going over.

Vine ripened strawberries and especially raspberries are two fruits that have a very short shelf life. So grow your own and enjoy. Do a little research as to which varieties are best for your location, what does well for me might not do well for you.
I grow both raspberries and a few strawberries, I grew Latham raspberries for years but about 10 years ago I switched to Tulameen another good raspberry but to be honest I think the old heirloom Latham has a bit of an edge on flavor, it's the size of the Tulameen that caught my eye, they are whoppers.

As far as strawberries go I grow a few plants of an old B.C. heirloom variety British Sovereign, not available commercially now, nothing much to look at if you compare to today's varieties but the flavor, yum, very few make it into the house.

I'm fortunate enough to be close to a farmer's market that grows all their own produce, that is things that can be grown here and it's worth the half hour drive to pick up strawberries for fresh strawberry pie and freezer strawberry jam.
Annette
The last time I went to a farm to pick my own they were terrible. They had a bitter after taste even though fully ripe. They must be planting the newer varieties.