For those of you who make chili rellenos

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Do you serve any kind of sauce over them? My dad, when he had the restaraunt, put some kind of sauce over them and I can't remember exactly what it was. It definately wasn't salsa or tomatillo sauce either. Inquiring minds want to know.

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
When I get Chili Relenos at my fav Mexican eateries here in Tennessee they serve a white cheese sauce over them that is slightly spicy. They always put too much cheese IMHO but at the same time I really like it. Next year if I am lucky enough to grow the peppers I will use the caso cheese that comes from the store and just pul a little less.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We use a homeade (Mrs Wages) spagetti sauce with extra green peppers and tomatoes in it.

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That sounds good to, but I will use my own sauce and maybe just a little spoon of cheese on the top of that.

RedClayGardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think it is traditional to serve them with ranchero sauce which is a combination of spices chicken broth and maybe a little tomato. I personally feel it makes the rellenos soggy and omit it or I add a little salsa on it right before I take a bite. I put salsa on just about everything though. I'm sorry I don't have a recipe to submit since I don't use it personally, but it shouldn't be too hard to find one on the web. I think the same sauce is used for huevos rancheros if you can't find a recipe labled "Ranchero Sauce" explicitly.

Latest posts