For those who planted an early garden.....

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So far from my garden I have picked, lettuce, raddish, zucchini, chives, carrots, herbs and beets. There have been a few snow peas but they never make it in. The kids eat them straight from the plant. My green and wax beans are on fire and should be ready in a week or so. Yum!!!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' -- I am fast coming to believe that a poly-tunnel is the answer for me :) I've held out against one for years as I don't see how, visually , it could fit into my woodland garden but a friend pointed out that I have enough room for one just outside my garden. It is by my little barn which served as a garage when I had a car (can't drive now due to eye problems). What size do you think a single, fairly greedy. old lady would need?

Any advice would be very welcome :bow

I too love oriental veggies. I only have one problem with them.......!! That's in the naming of them -- every seedsman calls them by a different name...!!! It drives me crazy -- I wish they would use the Latin; then at least I can see whether I have grown it before. I refer all the time to Joy Larkom's book on oriental veg -- she went to stay in China for a while to try to sort out the problem but since she retired the confusion has got worse -- over here at least! :he

Happy Gardening!

:rose Hattie :rose:ya

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a good book, Hattie. It isn't as tho' there need be much confusion with only 1 or 2 Asian Brassicas, for instance ;).

My 8' by 20' tunnel is hidden by my greenhouse and partly by the garage/carport. Only the neighbors, standing at the end of their yard can see it :rolleyes:. It is, however, nicely protected back there and that is important with regards to the wind.

Also protecting it from the wind is its low profile. The center path is excavated down 18" and the whole thing is not 5' tall. This also helps, I think, with keeping it warm.

I once frequented a very old range of greenhouses. Two of the buildings were essentially glass roofs sitting on the ground. They were very narrow, with that center path arrangement. Something that small would have ZERO commercial value now but for the homeowner, I think that they are entirely appropriate.

Here, in my tunnel, I've covered the center path with flats from the greenhouse - overflow you understand. Imagine those . . . out of your way :p. The tunnel can be completely dismantled during the summer or the hoops used for vining plants.

Steve
EarlySeason016.jpg

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Liberty7 said:
I'm in Zone 4b and NEVER plant before Memorial Day. It was
'47 degrees' this morning!
I live in zone 3 and always plant cold hardy crops on Good Friday and warm weather crops on Memorial Day. We had frost this morning.
But some plants like cold weather!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Careful now, these holidays and the solar calendar can be harsh taskmasters.

I once had a neighbor who apparently insisted on putting in a garden on Memorial Day. One year, it absolutely poured rain all day. There he was, with his wife and 4 kids, working for hours and hours - soaked, slogging about in the mud :D.

I never saw them, especially the guy, spend so much as 30 minutes out there thru the remainder of the growing season ;). . . . heroics, tradition, and esprit de corps - you know.

Steve

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
getting ready to harvest my second round of bananna peppers..

some yellow squash...

one cucumber...

and went out this morning and there is one tomato that is almost red, and one okra.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So far...radish, lettuces, spinach, chives, oregano and parsley (overwintered), peas, green onions and beet greens. About one more week and I think the peas will be done. The peppers will be glad of that so they can go in the garden and out of their little pots. :)

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm in Zone 4b and NEVER plant before Memorial Day. It was
'47 degrees' this morning!
Tell me about it!

We are planting our book club "community garden" today. I planted a lot of cool weather crops this year...something I never did before. It has been kind of interesting finding out what doesn't mind getting snowed on!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Very funny digitS' :lol: :gig

Thanks for the "short list" --- Hmmm! Actually it will help a bit ( if we could only get the seed merchants to use it on their packets)! :barnie I usually have to email them & wait till some "expert" mails me back. It is hopeless to phone them as nobody seems to know the answer. When Joy Larkom had her place she would answer the phone & the question....!!

WoW!!! :ep is all I can say about your poly-tunnel. You are definitely the Veggie King. :bow :bow :bow

It looks like PARADISE to me --- UNTIL I remember all that stuff has to be planted & cosseted through to picking! I'm speachless (& that is very, VERY RARE)! How many people do you keep in food, or are you doing it commercially (or do you run a Soup Kitchen) ????? Sorry I'm being nosey -- don't answer if you don't want to!

But CONGRATULATIONS. :clap :clap :clap

Thank you for all the info -- I need time to digest it. :lol: :p :D I've got overload at the moment!

:rose Hattie :rose

Latest posts