Forced Bulbs

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone is forcing bulbs this winter? I love hyacinths and have forced them occasionally, but forgot to get any to work with this past fall. I often go out in my flower beds and find one just showing green too early and pot it up for inside, though.
The only bulbs I planted this fall were some jonquils and crocus for naturalizing.
I love the look and idea of tulips, but find them unreliable for continuity. And when you see those open bins of bulbs at the garden store, don't you just know some little kid has shuffled those colors all around, so you will always have some odd colors pop up in your perfectly planned wave of red tulips?:barnie

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't bring out the whip & chair this winter, So Lucky.

Other than a store-bought pot of paper-whites or something, I've done those fragrant Cheerfulness daffs.

They are, however, a late variety and can show up about the time as the earliest, non-fragrant, daffodils outdoors. Oh boy, they are a "cheerful" fragrance in the house!

Steve

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've been going bulb-less for a while, except for some light-blue iris that one of my neighbor's passed on. I don't think Iris would be a good idea to force. :p

Grandpa does have some Tiger Lilies at his house, I tried propagating them by bulbils this fall but it was too late in the season. Going to give that another try this year.

There was a huge patch of hens and chicks in the flower bed here. Landowner's dead grandma gave them to her a long time ago. Ironically, our chickens scratched the whole patch up, most of its gone. "What happened to my-?" "You didn't see that!!"

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have some paperwhites that a parent gave me for Christmas. I don't think the bulbs will keep for next year but at least I will have the pot and stones. Then, all I need to buy is the bulbs.

Mary

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love the Hyacinth smell if they are in another room. Otherwise they are too strong. I DO NOT like the smell of Paper Whites at all. Am I the only one?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
LOL Carol people love or hate paper whites. I had a client tell me my paper whites smelled like cat pee, I said to her, I guess your cats sh*t smells like roses. She was someone I knew I could kid around with.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't really like the smell of paperwhites, either. But not as bad as cilantro, which is a whole 'nother thread, lol!
Like Carol Dee, the hyacinths smell best to me from a distance.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is okay, So Lucky. And, you know what a stickler I am about staying on topic on my own threads ;).

Fragrances are about more than scents. I can still remember when I first associated a fragrance & flavor with the cilantro plant. I must have been exposed to it - I'm sure that it is a big part of why I like Mexican food.

Some lilies are absolutely too much for me! I have a little trouble with the fact that the fragrance will follow me indoors ~ no windows open ~ after I or someone has passed thru a door! No escape!!

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some things are better smelled outdoors where you can have a breeze dilute it. I love the fragrance of hyacinths, but I've never forced bulbs in the house, so don't know if I'd find them overpowering.

I have a patch of Casa Blanca lilies in my little picket garden close to where I sit, and their fragrance drifts into the windows which I love.
I also planted a couple Summersweet shrubs strategically so that we can smell them indoors. :)

I like the taste and smell of cilantro, but that one seems to be particularly a love it/ hate it herb.

Latest posts