Forced Bulbs

Masoud

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
so lucky, I have hyacinths developing their roots in my cool garage. They are in different stages, but all are generally late, this year. I will take the first basket to my greenhouse by the end of the week to get them to bloom in February.

Mary, paperwhites will not bloom again next year. If you like the green foliage without flowers, save the bulbs and plant them again next year.

Carol and so lucky, I don't care for the smell of most paperwhites either. But, there is one type called "Winter Sun", a bit hard to find, but I have been buying them from Easy to Grow Bulbs, I think they smell nice and look very pretty with their yellow eyes.
Masoud

Last edited:

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
so lucky, I have hyacinths developing their roots in my cool garage. They are in different stages, but all are generally late, this year. I will take the first basket to my greenhouse by the end of the week to get them to bloom in February.

Mary, paperwhites will not bloom again next year. If you like the green foliage without flowers, save the bulbs and plant them again next year.

Carol and so lucky, I don't care for the smell of most paperwhites either. But, there is one type called "Winter Sun", a bit hard to find, but I have been buying them from Easy to Grow Bulbs, I think they smell nice and look very pretty withe their yellow eyes.
Masoud
Masoud, thanks for the tip. I like the look of paper whited and may try again if the smell is improved.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Masoud welcome to TEG! :frow Glad to have you join us. You will love it here. Thank you for the advise. I didn't think they would keep for next year. It's usually easier for me to buy them again than to store them and then forget about them. I will only need 4. I saw some at the nursery blooming and I didn't think the smell was that bad. I planted all 4 at the same time and only 1 has a bud. The other 3 are only a couple inches tall. Maybe I will just have a longer season with them?

Mar

Masoud

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank you for welcoming me, Mary. Paperwhites normally produce at least one flower stalk, sometimes more, depending on the bulb size. Often, some bulbs develop before others. I'll try to upload a picture of Winter Sun. They are tall, but if they are kept cool, they stay upright.
image.jpg

Yellow flowers on the right are ranunculus. Snow is on the other side.
Masoud

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome Masoud! If you want, you could start a thread briefly introducing yourself, tell what (general) area you are from, and what you really enjoy growing.
Otherwise, we will slowly squeeze information out of you one tidbit at a time. :frow
Either way, we're glad to have another plant lover amongst us.

Never mind, I see you already did that on another thread. But welcome, anyway!

Last edited:

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Score... I found this hyacinth and vase at my grocery store. It was all greens and roots when I brought it home. Look at it bloom now. :) So nice to have in the house as today is a VERY cold below zero day again. I paid $3.99 for it. Pretty sturdy plant, thank fully, as it has been tipped out of the vase several times. It even fell to the floor once!
011.JPG

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carol Dee,

It looks like a pleasant home companion.

Bulbs are just so vain and self-absorbed unless you can catch their attention with some stern discipline! Knocking it down once or twice obviously helped improved its attitude.

Steve