Forlorn Robin denied Spring Sunshine

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The picture is too sad so . . . I didn't snap it.

As we folks in the north wait for warm weather, does it help to consider others' plight?? Maybe we could think about LVVCHAP'S "If we are here to help others, what are the others here for?"

:hugs

W.H. Auden said that and he also said, "If equal affection cannot be, let the more loving be me."

:hugs

So, I'm thinking about the gardeners (or, would-be-gardeners) in Wyoming this morning - and, that miserable Robin :rolleyes:.

Here is something that really lays out Wyoming's climate: Last Spring, First Fall Freezes (32F or lower) and Free-Free Days You will have to select "Wyoming." Then, read it and weep . . .

Of course, some of these are just weather stations (or ranger stations :rolleyes:) but, like, Grover and Thayne, Wyoming are little communities. And, there was one other (who's name I've forgotten) where over 11,000 people reside!

One year out of ten, the last frost in Thayne occurs about the 23rd of July and in 1 year out of 10, the first frost occurs about the 26th of July! I don't even know how they separate those last and first dates!!

I mean, on average Thayne has 26 days frost-free! In a baaad year, it's 3 days!!

A bad year for Grover is even worse :/!

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your link was blank, Steve.

Wow, how do people even SURVIVE in that kind of climate. I bet they eat a lot of kale. :p

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ooops!

Well, it is just the way I was feeling this morning.

Link is fixed now!

Good thing that there is sunshine, somewhere. And, people enjoying it! Garden on!!!

Steve

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I lived in Rock Springs WY for 8 years and it wasnt that bad there, but we were on the edge of the Red Desert... :) Its nowhere NEAR as bad as Minnesota...

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
July 23rd!!! You can be sure I am not relocating there anytime soon! The robins aren't happy in my neck of the woods right now, either. I'm pretty sure the ducks are enjoying the weather! Gardens are almost all cleaned out and ready to go- just waiting on mother nature!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep ,Steve, I rolled over and looked out the window very early today, and what to my wonderinig eyes did appear? Little snowflakes, everywhere!

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
journey11 said:
..... I bet they eat a lot of kale. :p .....
First time I read your comment, I read it as "I bet they eat a lot of CAKE." ... and I had to agree... If I lived there, I'd eat a lot of CAKE too!

:lol: :D :lol: :p

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Yep ,Steve, I rolled over and looked out the window very early today, and what to my wonderinig eyes did appear? Little snowflakes, everywhere!
I was driving to work in the snow this morning also!
ENOUGH ALREADY!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know, sometimes I think about living in out-of-the-way places (as contrasted to just living in the "Empty Quarter" as I'm sure many folks think of this part of the world ;)).

Not all of Wyoming is above 6,000 feet with a 3 day growing season. I mean, there in the Big Horn Basin the elevation is considerably lower. I am sure the winter would be severe (yikes!) but, gardening in Greybull, Wyoming could run thru a 133 day frost-free season! That's comparable to Sandpoint, Idaho and there's nothing wrong with Sandpoint :cool:.

Greybull has the Big Horn River running thru town and Shell Creek is just to the north, Greybull River just to the south . . . I bet there's some excellent trout fishing to be enjoyed at off moments :D!

Steve
edited: "out-to-way places" ? :rolleyes:

Latest posts