Forsythia information?

jmk3482

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My mom's got lots of forsythia that she said I could have for free. I've heard how easy it is to transplant it. Supposedly, you just cut off new growth after it is done flowering and then stick it in the ground and it's supposed to form a new bush by itself.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it really that easy? Any tips would be great.

I'm going to use it to form an informal green fence. Maybe alternating it with lilac.

Thanks.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've never done forsythia cuttings so I can't comment on that -- personally I'd be inclined to dip the cut end in rooting hormone and then root it in a pot, 'cuz it's nearly as easy and probably more foolproof, but if you have consistant soil moisture just sticking it in where you want to grow it might work.

The way I've always multiplied forsythia is by digging up places where the branches have naturally layered themselves, or deliberately layering them and then coming back the next year with a shovel. That works too.

If you want to alternate forsythia and lilac in a 'hedge', you might think about doing several forsythia in a row then several lilac then several forsythia etc. Otherwise I have a feeling that almost as soon as they're grown enough to start forming a semi unified row, they'll start growing into and across and through each other and it could start looking kind of messy and weedy real fast. And be harder to see each one's flowers. Just a thought to consider.

Have fun,

Pat, with several lilac hedges started growing, but sadly unable to get forsythia to flower here (even the hardiest ones do not seem to be bud-hardy with our wind-chill, and there's nowhere really protected to put 'em, alas - I sure do miss them!)

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you want to alternate forsythia and lilac in a 'hedge', you might think about doing several forsythia in a row then several lilac then several forsythia etc. Otherwise I have a feeling that almost as soon as they're grown enough to start forming a semi unified row, they'll start growing into and across and through each other and it could start looking kind of messy and weedy real fast.
Yes, yes it does. They don't really bloom at the same time anyway, though, the forsythia will be in flower when the lilac is still budding. So by the time the lilac makes up its mind to blossom, you're only going to see lilac flowers in a big sea of green.

Robinegg

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have started lots of forsythia from cutting branches and sticking in the ground, I place mine in moist (not soggy) ground and roots grow , it just takes them longer to get established this way , as opposed to digging up those that already have roots. I do this in the spring and they have stopped flowering, although I have done it while they are still flowering.

Latest posts