1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Show us your Tomatoes!
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Free Mulch & Wood Chips Program

Discussion in 'Composting & Soil Building' started by journey11, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Apr 28, 2017
    ducks4you

ducks4you Garden Master

East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
    MUCH better for adding to the sand that the wood chips with cedar, imho. That reminds me of my horse's shelter! It's about time to strip it bc they have nosed out hay from their manger that they didn't care for all over it. I have discovered that if I pile that up it will grow some good pasture grass from the seeds that were in the hay.
    I tried to get our local electric affiliate to both drop free mulch and cut limbs interfering with power lines. OURS are buried, but our neighbors would be dark if they broke the lines.
    NO LUCK!! I even approached them one day when they were parked on our street, and they point blank told me they wouldn't cut any of the pine tree limbs.
    They had mailed EVERYBODY a postcard that told you who to call for these wonderful freebies.
    PFFT!!!! Lousy indian givers. We also, as lucky rural customers, get the cheapest leftover power lines and we have 3-5 brownouts/blackouts every year bc of it.
    Glad that YOU got something!!!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    baymule likes this.
  2. Apr 29, 2017
    baymule

baymule Garden Master

The contractors told us that they clear the power line right of way every 5 years. They parked their trucks here on our property and one is parked here now. We wound up with somewhere in the neighborhood of 70 loads of wood chips. It is not all wood, there are lots of leaves too. I put some in the garden yesterday, it was mostly leaves and was pretty well composted.

The light company here is very responsive to their customers and the longest we've been out of power in 2 1/2 years has been a matter of hours.

lcertuche, ducks4you and Nyboy like this.