free trees from arbor day?

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
TillinWithMyPeeps said:
Also, because they only ship dormant, they have a set shipping schedule:

http://www.arborday.org/TreeInfo/ShippingSchedule.cfm
oh man! i won't have 'em 'til November! I was so excited! In November, i won't remember why i have them. Oh well, maybe we can plan better on where to put them and so forth by then. We have a lot of work to do around here anyway.

You're a wealth of info. Thanks!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
They definitely ship you a small bag with sticks in it... I have done it a few times and had minor success. I think it is a worthy cause and I am always willing to try to plant anything- but quite a few of mine died. I am also in a different zone than you, so maybe yours will do better. If you are wanting actual trees, I would try to get a bargain at the end of the season from one of the box stores. I have purchased 3 huge trees- over 12 feet tall for less than 10.00 a piece at Home Depot. All are doing well and have been in the ground for several years. Good luck!!!!

TillinWithMyPeeps

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
PunkinPeep said:
TillinWithMyPeeps said:

oh man! i won't have 'em 'til November! I was so excited! In November, i won't remember why i have them. Oh well, maybe we can plan better on where to put them and so forth by then. We have a lot of work to do around here anyway.

It looks like you will have them in February:

02/1204/30

Check the Spring Shipping Dates.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I got mine, and most of my free one's died!

However, 2 I gave away to my friend she planted in a pot on her porch and she transplanted it into her yard this fall. Her's did amazingly well!!!

The trees a I paid for from Arbor day were my fruit trees and those are doing FANTASTIC!!!!!! I planted apples fall 2008 from them. Fingers crossed maybe a few apples this year. Next year I'm pretty sure.

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
TillinWithMyPeeps said:
PunkinPeep said:
TillinWithMyPeeps said:

It looks like you will have them in February:

02/1204/30

Check the Spring Shipping Dates.
ha! i totally didn't see that column.

maybe i'll get some pots to plant them in.

i really hope mine do well.

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
If you want a good deal on trees and plants try.... freetreesandplants.com It's an organization that gives people with mental and physical issues work. They grow all kinds of things and all you do is pay $7.95 for shipping and handling. My daughter told me about it and I looked it up but haven't had a chance to order yet. It's still too cold here in the desert.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Arbor day gives you these trees with a paid membership... then they sell you larger healthier trees at extreme discounts for being a member. They send you flyers and stuff all year asking for donations though. I just redid my membership for the second year.

I am planning on ordering about 10 apple trees this up coming fall to try to put in an apple tree fence espalier style. The trees you get are already properly started for the style they suggest.

http://www.vegetablegardener.com/item/2453/how-to-grow-espalier-apple-trees

Latest posts