Freecycled Day Lilies.. now what?

Aneesa's Muse

Sprout
Reaction score
I do freecycle.org quite a bit ..keeps the clutter down ...and really keeps the consumerism down some, too. So yesterday, I went by a lady's house and helped her split up some 20 year old Day Lilies from her landscaping ..bright yellow ones and some rusty red'ish brown ones (she says).

I have a couple gallon sized clumps of both colors, but I have NO idea how to treat the roots ..if I even have to ...or anything else about them, really. I just have always wanted them and "free" is good and well.. :p

Do I have to treat the roots? How do I do that?

Should I break up the big clumps into smaller clumps or will that make them unhappy?

Should I let the green tops die off on their own or do I chop that off now?

Will they like my composted tortoise, chicken, guinea pig poop stuff as much as everyone (flowers/plants) else does? And is used fish tank water okay ...nitrate rich.. for them, too?

Thanks ..and sorry it's long. I could've googled, but I figured I'd ask you all here, first.

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
oooo you lucky dog you...free daylilies-the best kind.
If I were you I'd split them up some. It's very easy to do-just be careful and you'll see the bulbs to separate. I got a couple clumps as you describe and split them up and ended up with enough to plant a long row of them. This is their second year there and already filled in nicely.
I love daylilies-you can't go wrong with them...hehehe-ask me again in 5yrs and see if I still agree...heehehe

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ive always split them where the new foliage is and planted them like that, Im not sure about a bare root (?) I do know they duplicate quickly and you dont need to plant them too deep. This is the right time of year and dont be suprised if they dont flower for a year or two Im planning on transplanting some of the wild ones real soon.

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Good for you. Daylilies are easy. Don't let the roots dry out too much. You can break them up pretty much any old way. I have actually used a maddock to bust up some of my big clumps. They really don't care. I cut back any foilage to about 2" long. Dig your hole, fill it with water, put the root in and cover. They would probably live if you just throw some dirt on them. :lol:

Aneesa's Muse

Sprout
Reaction score
You guys are awesome!! Thanks so much! :D

I have them in a big black plastic thing ..so I will separate them and plant them tomorrow. I hope I can remember which clumps are which color ..I forgot to tag 'em.. :p I'd like to have them alternating or all one color in one spot.. I'm a doofas! :/

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Aneesa's Muse said:
You guys are awesome!! Thanks so much! :D

I have them in a big black plastic thing ..so I will separate them and plant them tomorrow. I hope I can remember which clumps are which color ..I forgot to tag 'em.. :p I'd like to have them alternating or all one color in one spot.. I'm a doofas! :/
Naw, you'll just get a nice suprise when they start blooming.

Latest posts