Freeze Proof Hydrant repair ????????????

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My ground doesn't freeze, but any exposed pipe sure will. I just turn off the cut off valve, open the faucet and call it good. I do like the idea of a no freeze faucet, then I wouldn't have to fool with it.
Hydrants are fantastic when you have animals. We use them for watering too. But when it's freezing cold and you do not have to haul heavy buckets or drag a hose to and from the cellar it is such a relief.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
About the worst I have to do is carry a kettle or pot of boiling water to pour on the ice in the animals water containers. The horse tank (300 gallons) will get a couple inches of ice over an extended period, but I just slam it with a shovel or something.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have them on house outside faucets. 2 of them the turn off is supose to be far enough into the crawl sace not to freeze I believe 2 feet The under ground sprinkler system gets water turned off then air is blown though. water says off till spring.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, you are in sand so be a little careful. A common cause of failure is that sand gets in through that drain. When I installed mine I dug out below it and laid a double a layer of good quality landscaping cloth. I filled in a couple of bags of pea to bring the level up a few inches above the drain, then put another double layer of landscaping cloth before I fill that hole all the way back up. I did the pea gravel more to give the water a place to drain to in my clay but just went a bit further with that landscaping cloth. Just added insurance.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Where I am a hydrant is at curb Only fire dept can use for water. Are you talking about outside faucets ? I have them and have plumper replace about every 2 years ( he needs to go into crawl space to change)

upload_2017-11-20_7-36-9.jpeg

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
My ground doesn't freeze, but any exposed pipe sure will. I just turn off the cut off valve, open the faucet and call it good. I do like the idea of a no freeze faucet, then I wouldn't have to fool with it.

How far below ground level did you put the shut offs ?????

I have PVC running to the hydrants~ with only a short piece of Galvanized pipe at the hydrant it's self```

Latest posts