Freezing corn??? How to?

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am experimenting with canning and freezing some of my corn to see which method give the best flavor. I have canned a couple of small jars and now want to try and freeze some.

My questions? How do I do that?

Cook the corn first on the cob? how long?
Take the corn off the cob, cook? how Long?
Do you add anything to the cooled corn before freezing?

Thank you.
Anne

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I actually froze a bunch of corn this year as the ears were pretty spotty, and not really enough to eat off the cob. Anyway, I boiled them for a few minutes (5 max), and then put them in ice water to cool them off quickly. Then scrape them off the cob & put the kernels in freezer bags. I've eaten some of the frozen stuff already, and I'm happy to say that it still tastes fantastic! Soooo much better than the stuff in the freezer case at the grocery store. :happy_flower

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yep, me too. Done it that way for 25 years and never disappointed. We put the pretty ears up on the cob and cut off the ugly ones. ;)

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank you Kate, Pat and Punkin. I will freeze as instructed. I had a friend over for lunch today and the corn was the biggest hit. Like candy......
Yum....there might not be any left over for freezing.......

Anne

FarmerDenise

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We don't bother cooking it first, we just freeze the pretty ones on the cob and the rest we cut off and freeze in one cup batches. Sometimes I freeze them on a cookie sheet first and then put them in bags. We have a food saver and it sucks out the air and seals the bag. I think that makes a big difference in the quality of the frozen food.

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
We don't bother cooking it first, we just freeze the pretty ones on the cob and the rest we cut off and freeze in one cup batches. Sometimes I freeze them on a cookie sheet first and then put them in bags. We have a food saver and it sucks out the air and seals the bag. I think that makes a big difference in the quality of the frozen food.
Hi Denise,
Thanks for your suggestion. I am going to do just what you suggest with the last batch today.

Anne

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Wanted to check in and thank everyone for their suggestions for freezing corn. I did as suggested and last night used one of the pgks I had frozen. The corn was delicious. Thanks again.

Anne

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Glad it was to your liking. We had some yesterday and it was just as good as the day it was put up.

Latest posts