Freezing corn seed to kill insects?

CorrieSC

Sprout
Reaction score
At work this summer, we grew a local variety of flour corn, with the intention of giving out some of the seed to local gardeners and a community seed bank. We ended up with enough seed to fill about three 5-gallon buckets, but some weevils found their way in as well. I'm worried that if we keep the kernels at room temperature until spring, the bugs will have plenty of time to ruin a lot of the seeds, but I don't think I can pick them out by hand without missing some.

Most of the advice I found online for dealing with weevils seemed to be aimed at large-operations (fumigating, taking the corn to market early), but I also found a suggestion to freeze the corn for a few days, just long enough to kill the eggs, larvae, and adults.

Has anyone had luck freezing corn for seed? Should I follow the advice of only freezing for a few days, or just leave it in cold storage until spring? It's been drying since the first week of September, so I don't expect moisture to be an issue, and we have a chest freezer that doesn't get opened often, so changes in temperature won't be a concern either.

AbelHill

Sprout
Reaction score
At work this summer, we grew a local variety of flour corn, with the intention of giving out some of the seed to local gardeners and a community seed bank. We ended up with enough seed to fill about three 5-gallon buckets, but some weevils found their way in as well. I'm worried that if we keep the kernels at room temperature until spring, the bugs will have plenty of time to ruin a lot of the seeds, but I don't think I can pick them out by hand without missing some.

Most of the advice I found online for dealing with weevils seemed to be aimed at large-operations (fumigating, taking the corn to market early), but I also found a suggestion to freeze the corn for a few days, just long enough to kill the eggs, larvae, and adults.

Has anyone had luck freezing corn for seed? Should I follow the advice of only freezing for a few days, or just leave it in cold storage until spring? It's been drying since the first week of September, so I don't expect moisture to be an issue, and we have a chest freezer that doesn't get opened often, so changes in temperature won't be a concern either.
To freeze the corn for seed, here's what you can do:

Ensure the corn is completely dry: Make sure the corn kernels have been thoroughly dried since the first week of September, as moisture can affect the quality of the seeds during freezing.

Prepare the corn for freezing: Divide the corn into small batches that can fit in freezer bags or airtight containers. This helps in maintaining consistent freezing temperatures and prevents the formation of ice crystals.

Seal and freeze: Place each batch of corn in airtight freezer bags or containers, removing as much air as possible before sealing. Label the bags or containers with the date to keep track of the freezing time. Place them in the freezer.

Freezing duration: To eliminate weevils, larvae, and eggs, freeze the corn for a minimum of three days. This duration ensures that all life stages of the pests are killed. Longer freezing times won't harm the seeds but may not provide any additional benefits.

Thawing and storage: After the freezing period, remove the corn from the freezer and allow it to thaw at room temperature. Once fully thawed, transfer the corn to suitable long-term storage containers such as glass jars or airtight bags. Store the seeds in a cool, dark, and dry place until spring when you plan to distribute or plant them.

Latest posts