Freezing Pies

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is what I do, @digitS'
http://wendolonia.com/blog/2010/06/16/crisp-in-a-jar/
Of course, we have a couple of freezers, but I make these individual servings all year in various flavors: strawberry-rhubarb, raspberry-peach, mixed berry, blueberry, apple, etc.
It is a crumble on top, not a traditional crust, although I suppose you could do either. You can take them right out of the freezer and pop them in the oven. Easy and delicious!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
These are interesting websites in and of themselves, and for very different reasons.

Even tho' they are both about food ...

Pie was important to me as a kid probably because there were so many blackberries where I grew up :). Berries cannot be the easiest fruit for pie. On the other hand, apple might be.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love that idea @buckabucka ! Those are perfect sizes. Dh and I can handle a whole pie together (unfortunately!) in two days, and then complain about how we shouldn't have. :rolleyes:

I think I have a box of half pints that someone gave me.I'm going to look.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
These are interesting websites in and of themselves, and for very different reasons.

Even tho' they are both about food ...

Pie was important to me as a kid probably because there were so many blackberries where I grew up :). Berries cannot be the easiest fruit for pie. On the other hand, apple might be.

Steve

I think I'd rate that the other way around. Berries just get a quick rinse in the colander. Apples take forever to peel, core and slice. :p

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had pretty good luck with canning apple pie filling...if my dreams come true this year- I will try to can peach pie filling! The apples are mushier than with fresh, but peaches are pretty soft, so maybe it would be better? I do know a gal who freezes pies. Pretty sure they are cooked. I will find out.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The only fruit I have ever (helped ;)) can was peaches. That was when I was just a little kid.

The only vegetable I have ever helped can was ... well, I haven't ever canned veggies.

Journey, I mean the easiest to have a good result. Berries seem a little touchy.

Steve

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy - reporting back.
Resturant pizza can be frozen and re-heated. Thaw completely in the fridge, then put on a sprayed cookie sheet and into an oven on low (325) until the cheese is bubbly again.
Couple of notes:
1. Unless that pizza was AWESOME, may not be worth the trouble. A pizza takes up a LOT of room in the freezer - and the fridge - and takes about 45mins+ to get all hot again.
2. You MIGHT be able to make it do it faster, but I was afraid of burning the crust.
3. I'd advise to just enjoy it cold - My favorite way.

Latest posts