baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
This made me stop and think about all the stuff I used to make. Dang I used to be good!
Bagels and pita bread and raised donuts, and I made a killer sourdough....
Wow. Who was that woman?
I did all that too AND worked, raised two kids......you're right...who WAS that woman? :lol:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love to make fresh bread, but confess that my forays into baking were mostly limited to coffee cake & corn bread until I bought a bread machine. Actually, I went through about 6 bread machines, and was only happy with one which made a perfect round, 1 1/2 pound loaf. The ease of baking allowed me to experiment with a lot of recipes that I might not have tried otherwise; the seller of the machine (DAK, long since defunct) mailed out 3 collections of recipes (sent in by thousands of machine owners) to everyone who had purchased a machine. Several of those recipes are still my favorites: Beer Cheese, Sour Cream & Onion, Banana Bread (real bread, not cake), and Pumpernickel. I'm close to perfecting a Salsa Bread, using my own salsa; still working on the proper salt & fluid balance. Sometimes I just use the machine to make dough, then put it into a pan & bake in the oven for gift loaves.

The sad thing is, I started baking because DW loved the breads that I made. Then she became diabetic, and had to limit her starch intake. I still make bread, but only seldom... it is asking too much of her to bake something she loves, but limit her to only small portions.

Hmmm... home made hamburger buns using some of those recipes might be a good dietary compromise, and I'm drooling thinking about a good burger on a beer-cheese bun.:drool

Last edited:

Latest posts